The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Want to try video

rayyan

Know nothing about shooting video. But want to give it a try.
Been reading about it some. Way over my head, mostly.
But that applies to anything I want to venture in.

I need help to decide..

- which cam to start with. GH4 or one from the Sony 7 series :eek: ( Dubai is a short flight from where I live and has a vast Sony sales and repair setup ).

- start with the iPhone 6/6+

- do not need a cam dedicated to video solely

Your help and patience to get me started is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
For trying out, I would probably choose the Olympus E-M1:

- IBIS, which is a big advantage when shooting video
- Small sensor, which makes it easy to keep things in focus
- Great choice of lenses
- Proven quality

Panasonic GH4 offers better video quality and 4K with internal recording, but lacks IBIS. It has a much larger battery though, which is a big advantage when shooting video.

Sony A7 is great for video, not least the magic A7s, but the larger sensor makes keeping things in focus more of a challenge. The Sony A6000 is also a decent alternative, great value for money and compact size, but no IBIS.

And outsider is the Panasonic LX100. Good video quality, but lacks the versatility of a mirrorless camera.

4season

IMO, the camera is the easy part: More important is what you hope to accomplish, and how you intend to distribute your work to your audience.

For me personally, all I care about are occasional video snapshots, so I just use the video capture feature of whatever camera I'm carrying at the time. I love 4K video in theory, but in reality, no one that I'd be sharing my videos with has a 4K-capable playback system, and 480p would be generous. If you're still in the experimental stage and already own an iPhone 6, that would probably be your best bet (remember to hold it horizontally!)

You can accomplish an awful lot with a stationary camera, no zooming, and simple cuts or fast fades between segments.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
IMO, the camera is the easy part: More important is what you hope to accomplish, and how you intend to distribute your work to your audience.

For me personally, all I care about are occasional video snapshots, so I just use the video capture feature of whatever camera I'm carrying at the time. I love 4K video in theory, but in reality, no one that I'd be sharing my videos with has a 4K-capable playback system, and 480p would be generous. If you're still in the experimental stage and already own an iPhone 6, that would probably be your best bet (remember to hold it horizontally!)

You can accomplish an awful lot with a stationary camera, no zooming, and simple cuts or fast fades between segments.
To take that a bit further:
Yes, the camera is the smallest challenge. Editing is all important and often time consuming. Then there's sound. You can make video without sound, but it's very much better with. The sound you make while recording the video isn't always what you want, so carrying a simple sound recorder to record ambient sound can be a good idea. I use a Zoom H2n, but there are other, smaller, cheaper alternatives around and obviously new, revolutionary models are launched every hour of every day :rolleyes:

H2n | ZOOM

If you want to use the sound recorded on your camera, which is probably the best way to go to start with anyway, it might be an idea to invest in a separate microphone that attaches to the hot shoe of your camera. Rode makes excellent microphones.

RØDE Microphones - Stereo VideoMic Pro

I do btw. find it more difficult to make video with a camera phone than a "real" camera. I prefer a viewfinder, partly because it's easier to see under all lighting circumstances and partly because it easier to hold the camera stable when not using a tri or monopod. Thinking about this for a while, the LX100 might be your best option, not because it features 4K, but because the video quality is good, it's relatively compact with a good lens and generally a very versatile camera.

rayyan

Jorgen, 4season.

Thank you both very much for your inputs.:salute:
I need time to absorb all that you guys have kindly suggested.

I have been trying the iPhone 6+, for a few days. It surely is an excellent machine, very capable for I want...but not for me.

Jorgen, I shall be in Dubai shortly. Shall handle the cams you mentioned.
Let you know, if I pick up one.

My sincere thanks for your inputs.
Kindest regards.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Any suggestions, views, comments, opinions?
Here:

Panasonic LX100 first impressions review and 4K footage - EOSHD

Reviews Archives - EOSHD

Cameras | Nino Film Blog

http://www.cinema5d.com/reviews/cameras/

Camera Reviews | Philip Bloom

So many choices and everyone has an opinion ... camera and video haptics diverge in many instances ... framing and focusing during video is critical ... and sound acquisition problematic for smaller systems.

Oh and you will need decent hard drive space and backup.

But lots of fun....

Couple of examples ....

Amazing Golden Eagle Highlights on Vimeo

Ebby road-Canon C100 Mark II (beta quality) exclusive footage on Vimeo

SOARING on Vimeo

Moonlight | Sony A7s on Vimeo

Regards,

Bob

rayyan

Thanks for the links Bob.

Much appreciated.

Here:

Panasonic LX100 first impressions review and 4K footage - EOSHD

Reviews Archives - EOSHD

Cameras | Nino Film Blog

http://www.cinema5d.com/reviews/cameras/

Camera Reviews | Philip Bloom

So many choices and everyone has an opinion ... camera and video haptics diverge in many instances ... framing and focusing during video is critical ... and sound acquisition problematic for smaller systems.

Oh and you will need decent hard drive space and backup.

But lots of fun....

Couple of examples ....

Amazing Golden Eagle Highlights on Vimeo

Ebby road-Canon C100 Mark II (beta quality) exclusive footage on Vimeo

SOARING on Vimeo

Moonlight | Sony A7s on Vimeo

Regards,

Bob