Site Sponsors

Thread: Settling down

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Settling down

My relationship with the D810 is becoming pretty solid, starting to resemble what I felt about the OM-1, a camera that I used for 30 years. I'm even back to manual focus lenses for most of my photography, at least up to 105mm, and will spend the next few months refining my 20/28/50/105mm combo, replacing the 20 and the 50, which are the weakest links.

So, I stumbled across the excellent quotation below. GAS isn't something that came with digital. It's always been there. And even if I try to convince myself that GAS is gone in my case, it has just changed name. Now, it's called Otus GAS and Zeiss GAS

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they donít know what to do with it."

- Edward Weston, 1927
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Settling down

I resemble that remark.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don’t know what to do with it."

- Edward Weston, 1927
    That was 1927.
    This is 2015.

A new paradigm...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    That was 1927.
    This is 2015.

A new paradigm...
    Yes. The squirrel cage now has a microprocessor controlled motor drive. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they donít know what to do with it."

- Edward Weston, 1927
    Such a truism.

I was curious about what filter sizes I might need for my different cameras and lenses so the other day I jotted down a list of all the lenses I have that I could think of ... When I got to 43 lenses, I knew that sanity had long since been passed by.

The M-P will be here tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it.

I want to end the year with much less equipment in the cabinet than is there now. And with many more than the current fourteen prints in the box from my "two prints a week" project.

Those seem good goals. :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes dream of selling off everything, buying a X100T and be done with it. But then I'd miss the Ricoh GR, the IQ of the DP2M and the lens options of the A7 so I end up not doing it.

What I DO do sometimes is leave everything home but the GR or the DP2M etc. Not quite the same thing though.

Having one camera I think would cause me to focus on the image more.
    Right now I am using a camera little, I am focusing (pun) on my backlog of film scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    When I got to 43 lenses,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went to "one system" two years ago, and the feeling of relief -- a weight off my shoulders -- was instant. I have added a Sony EF body to my Nikons, but specifically for glass I can't use on Nikon like the Mitakon and Holga -- and recently the HCAM TS adapter. Regardless, the move to a "simpler system" has been very freeing artistically, and indeed I am learning to do so much more with my simpler kit than I ever believed possible.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've pared things down to one or two systems too: The problem is, I keep changing my mind as to which ones. Sometimes I think I could sell everything but my RX100, and my photos would be pretty much the same