The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Settling down

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My relationship with the D810 is becoming pretty solid, starting to resemble what I felt about the OM-1, a camera that I used for 30 years. I'm even back to manual focus lenses for most of my photography, at least up to 105mm, and will spend the next few months refining my 20/28/50/105mm combo, replacing the 20 and the 50, which are the weakest links.

So, I stumbled across the excellent quotation below. GAS isn't something that came with digital. It's always been there. And even if I try to convince myself that GAS is gone in my case, it has just changed name. Now, it's called Otus GAS and Zeiss GAS :D

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don’t know what to do with it."

- Edward Weston, 1927

rayyan

"The fact is that relatively few photographers ever master their medium. Instead they allow the medium to master them and go on an endless squirrel cage chase from new lens to new paper to new developer to new gadget, never staying with one piece of equipment long enough to learn its full capacities, becoming lost in a maze of technical information that is of little or no use since they don’t know what to do with it."

- Edward Weston, 1927
That was 1927.
This is 2015.

A new paradigm...:D

Godfrey

- Edward Weston, 1927
Such a truism.

I was curious about what filter sizes I might need for my different cameras and lenses so the other day I jotted down a list of all the lenses I have that I could think of ... When I got to 43 lenses, I knew that sanity had long since been passed by.

The M-P will be here tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it.

I want to end the year with much less equipment in the cabinet than is there now. And with many more than the current fourteen prints in the box from my "two prints a week" project.

Those seem good goals. :)

G

Tim

I sometimes dream of selling off everything, buying a X100T and be done with it. But then I'd miss the Ricoh GR, the IQ of the DP2M and the lens options of the A7 so I end up not doing it.

What I DO do sometimes is leave everything home but the GR or the DP2M etc. Not quite the same thing though.

Having one camera I think would cause me to focus on the image more.
Right now I am using a camera little, I am focusing (pun) on my backlog of film scanning.

When I got to 43 lenses,
:bugeyes: :toocool:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I went to "one system" two years ago, and the feeling of relief -- a weight off my shoulders -- was instant. I have added a Sony EF body to my Nikons, but specifically for glass I can't use on Nikon like the Mitakon and Holga -- and recently the HCAM TS adapter. Regardless, the move to a "simpler system" has been very freeing artistically, and indeed I am learning to do so much more with my simpler kit than I ever believed possible.

4season

I've pared things down to one or two systems too: The problem is, I keep changing my mind as to which ones. Sometimes I think I could sell everything but my RX100, and my photos would be pretty much the same :LOL: