The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In Summary...

Godfrey

My evergreen Olympus E-1 is now twelve and a half years old; I've been using it since 2008. It is my favorite DSLR.

I've had the Olympus E-M1 since 2013. It proves its capability, versatility, and quality to me every time I use it. And it's gotten better and better as the firmware has been improved.

The Leica X typ 113 was a surprise and a delight when I got it last Fall, 2014. In some ways, it's the best "grab and carry a camera, take pictures" camera I've owned. It instantly gets out of my way and let's me see through it.

The Leica M-P typ 240 I acquired this Winter of 2015 is everything I'd hoped the M9 would be. It finally achieves the transparency and fluid use of my film Ms. So glad I went for it.

That's as done as I want to be with these tools, for the near future. Much of the rest will go, other than sentimental artifacts driven by nostalgia.

Satori.
G

Tim

That's as done as I want to be with these tools, for the near future. Much of the rest will go, other than sentimental artifacts driven by nostalgia.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope its liberating for you.

I have only two sentimental artifacts, an OM4 and Contax T3. They are shelf queens now, with the occasional fondle.
A friend who is normally has no sentimentality for such items has a Fuji 3D W1 that he won't part with. An interesting device

Your A7 not staying?

Godfrey

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I hope its liberating for you.

I have only two sentimental artifacts, an OM4 and Contax T3. They are shelf queens now, with the occasional fondle.
A friend who is normally has no sentimentality for such items has a Fuji 3D W1 that he won't part with. An interesting device

Your A7 not staying?
I have a few sentimental favorites ... the Nikon F, Rollei 35S, Hasselblad SWC, and my Robot IIa are some of them. All in fine fettle, they just don't get used much.

The jury is still out on the A7. It's mostly a surrogate Leica R lens horse for me, always was, and I haven't decided whether the R8/Leicaflex SL kit will stay as part of the sentimental gang yet. The other thing the A7 is really good at is pinhole work, so it's a question mark.

G

4season

I love to try out new toys, but I can only assimilate so much until it becomes just so much internal noise and I'm spending more time polishing and accessorizing gear when I should be taking photos :ROTFL:

For now, the camera which shouldn't, but does seem to deliver the highest percentage of "keepers" is probably my Ricoh GR Digital. I grumble about 28mm FOV not being my favorite and yet I somehow seem to make it work when I'm carrying that camera.

Godfrey

... it becomes just so much internal noise and I'm spending more time polishing and accessorizing gear when I should be taking photos ...
I know what you mean very well indeed. I'd say the Leica X has been doing for me, for the past several months, what the Ricoh GR Digital is doing for you.

And it's also amusing when your "not favorite" focal length all of a sudden, with a particular camera, becomes the most successful. That's happened to me as well.

The particulars of the machinery do affect us ...

G

Tim

For now, the camera which shouldn't, but does seem to deliver the highest percentage of "keepers" is probably my Ricoh GR Digital. I grumble about 28mm FOV not being my favorite and yet I somehow seem to make it work when I'm carrying that camera.
My experience with the GR is very much the same.

If you are not keen on 28mm put the GR in 35mm or 47mm crop modes.
I read one blog where the user stays on 35mm mode permanently.

There is some sense to it. You will enjoy the center of the lens which is generally the better part. The LCD reflects your intent and vision. Saves your cropping later anyway. The loss of pixels not that great IMO.

4season

If you are not keen on 28mm put the GR in 35mm or 47mm crop modes.
Good point, and maybe I'll give it a try. But I think there's value in just dealing with the fact that it's a foot-powered zoom lens!

jonoslack

Well, I like trying new toys as well . . . . but I think your choice is Excellent Godfrey.
I'm busy selling off all my Sony kit at the moment (really good, but I'd prefer to use the M with M lenses for FF . . . and the Zuiko lenses are so great).