The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera sales per Jan 2015

drofnad

I'm surprised at exactly where the sharp decline (per annum) lies --IN what I'd think were the BuySomethingPre-Xmas months of Nov/Dec, and maybe any post-holiday splurging later. But, May, summer ... ?
Well, hmmm, for the mirrorless, it IS (er, was) peaking in November.
Santa's lightening his sleigh?
(-;
ps: Curiously and coincidentally, I bought used --partly with then need of SOMEthing-- in October, for myself.

rayyan

Folks, the ' first world ' is not necessarily now the prime strategic focus of camera
Or other ' disposable income use ' manufacturers.

What seems to be stagnating are sales in certain markets. But there are huge, and I mean huge markets waiting to be tapped.

People who could never think of owning a camera, any camera, now compare the brands available. As living standards and disposable income rise in certain parts of the world, sellers devise, market, and supply the demand.

One sees this in all products...camera stores in luxury malls..and I don't refer to the recognized luxury brand in cameras. China, India, Brazil and the list is increasing. Kazakhstan..yes find it on a map..and the luxury fashion houses are falling over themselves to get in there.

The latest economic reports projected the number of millionaires in SE Asia exceeding the developed world..not the total wealth..just the number.

Europe is plateauing or in a slight depression..Toyota overtakes Volkswagen as the leading supplier of vehicles to the world.

When sales somewhere go down, the marketing teams always dream up novel,
But not revolutionary ways to stop the slump or find new markets.

The markets now are moving east and south. And it becomes increasingly difficult to make gains in an overly marketed, crowded and saturated market.

And there are other festivals, occasions, anniversaries to celebrate for the marketing gurus across the world than just wait for Christmas.