The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Boring rainy day, so play

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hmmm. Just just playing around with B&W stuff.

Truth be told playing hooky from working on my taxes. Yuk

Guy Mancuso

Thanks folks. All done in CS4 with a black and white adjustment layer and tone mapping the colors. Top one has a tint added. Jack taught this in Moab at the workshop and i wanted to play around some more. You can also do this in LR and C1 with similar techniques. C1 you would use the color picker and make adjustments. Been a while for LR but basically what i was doing was making it B&W than adjusting all the colors in the image. I will do a couple more later and show you the screen grab. Lot's of fun and please join me on this thread.

Back in the day I learned the Zone System taught by Fred Picker and with digital processing you can achieve some of the same effects. The last one is a classic zone system look with deep blacks and with a long tonal range to white

ecliffordsmith

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the interesting information. I have always just converted my files in C1 standard but I have, for a while now been thinking I should upgrade to the pro version.

Certainly seeing the things you, and your workshop participants do with PP is an eye opener.

Guy Mancuso

This one is done in C1 pro which takes a bit longer since the adjustments are very fine with the color picker so the sky for example i did three times to darken that shade of blue but very nice results. I used the B&W Panchromatic style to start than worked it from there with the color picker. This one has a little more bite to it. These are all MF so you can see the big DR in them which sometimes i have to crunch down to get solid black.

Guy Mancuso

C1 and the M8 are a great combination. C1 does like the higher ISO's with the M8 better than anything else i have used.

ecliffordsmith

Guy,

That last image is remarkable.

Thanks for the tip, I think I will try the pro version out.

Regarding the M8 high ISO I must admit I have never had any real complaints about it. Sure, I would like a 5000 and 10000 but maybe that will be there in a M9 ???

Guy Mancuso

Little combo first worked in C1 than in CS4 and added a blue tint to it. This one was tough to work but interesting result

jonoslack

Hi everyone

I should be working too!

I'm afraid you just can't get the scenery around here, so I have to do with muddy tracks and murky ponds.
these are shot with the M8 and WATE, processed in aperture and then silver efex pro.

Last edited:
D

DougDolde

No rain or cacti in Payson. Just snow and pine trees. View out my dining room window.

Don Libby

After listening to the wind howling last night work up to find several inches of the white stuff this morning of course it's just about all melted by now (1:30). Still cold here in Tucson. Talk about being upside down - Chicago was 60 while we'll about 1/2 that.

don

Guy Mancuso

Yea AZ got dumped on. My mother -in - law is stuck here until tomorrow because of snow in Prescott. Like about a foot of snow and for Arizonians that is like 6 ft to our snowy states. Looks like Doug maybe outside shoveling out Payson and that is only 90 miles north of me