The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sidetrips on the way to nirvana

Godfrey

I'm in a pause from my aggressive equipment sell-off program. Had to take a break, too much other stuff to do.

I'd ordered an Olympus Air A-01 a month ago. Supposed to be here by end July. They're delayed. After due thinking about it, I cancelled the order.

I've read people singing the praises of the Nikkor 25-50/4 AI-S. I'm not normally a zoom guy, but the praise got my curiosity up. I looked the lens up to see what it was about and what they sold for. Interesting design, appealing range. Prices were a bit higher than I would like as an experiment. But I left the search in place. Notification comes in that another is up for sale, with a three day auction. Looks decent, very low price. I laughed and put a minimum bid in, thinking "Someone else will bid it up." I won; it arrived from Japan in three days. Quite the nice lens: good feel, nice controls. My F6 is happy, my F is happy. Bonus: it works well with the TC-16a AF Teleconverter, giving me a useful-if-slow 40-80mm f/5.6 AF zoom lens too. My F6 is particularly happy. Now to see what the photos look like.

Superpan 200 does not work well in the F6 ... it causes frame spacing to jump all over the map. Works much better in the M4-2. The last of my Agfa Rondinax/Rondix collecting spree arrived, a Rondix 35. I processed the Superpan out of the M4-2 in it. Using these tanks is convenient and very amusing, kitchen counter film processing with no dark bag required. Makes it very easy. Next I'll experiment with C41 processing. The film came out very nice if a trifle under processed ... need to figure slightly different time/temp for the Rondix.

Leica M4-2 + Color Skopar 50/2.5 :: Superpan 200

My 2T backup/archive drives became filled to capacity on Sunday. After a bit of machination, a new pair of 3T drives are in the same enclosures now, and I've migrated the connection from FW800 to USB3. I would have gone with 4T drives, but they only had one of the 4Ts I wanted in stock ... this will handle my needs well for another 24 months or so. The upgrade to USB3 boosted read/write speed by 30-40% over FW800 at least. Nice: The last time I did a wholesale migration of data from 1T to 2T drive, I was still on FW400 enclosures: 990G took 18 hours to transfer; this time, 1.99T took 7.25 hours to transfer.

Onwards!

G

Last edited:

JoelM

Love, love, love my 25-50 f4 Nikkor. Use it on the A7r most of the time unless i want autofocus and then use the Sony 24-70. Rendition is quite different.

FWIW,

Joel

4season

That's a curious expression on Felipe's face!

My own side-trip turned into an outright detour as I've recently acquired a handful of additional film cameras! Nothing dramatic, mostly small and very inexpensive items that had nice cosmetics but which were selling cheaply due to one problem or another. I amused myself by doing minor repairs, replacing crumbled light traps and what-not. Seemed like an inexpensive way to deal with GAS, and shouldn't cause too much clutter as long as I remember to resell stuff once I get bored with it. Who knows, I may even make a modest profit.