The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The ugly duckling is here

Lars

Light L16 weirdo with a hand grip. Looks like one of those spiders Bilbo ran into.

https://light.co/camera

So... I've worked with computational imaging, ressing up an image by combining multiple sensors. It's very difficult to get to work well.
Add that the lens apertures and therefore the sensor area and total captured amount of light is tiny, and you realize that the camera starts off with a very noisy image,
Whether Light pulls of magic in its image pipeline remains to be seen - color me skeptical.

-Lars

Lars

The profile of this startup reminds me of Pelican Imaging and Lytro - none of the founders seem to have any photography background, just your typical Silicon Valley smart guys. So the core idea does not come from photography experience. And then they went and hired a bunch of imaging professionals to make the thing actually work.

The L16 camera contains multiple lenses and different focal lengths that simultaneously take a photo - I think the idea is that you can zoom in post. Additionally they use imaging magic to res up the image to 52 MP. Just like Lytro, This seems to be a solution looking for a problem.