The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the siren call ...

Godfrey

Since I bought the SL, I've used the M-P almost exclusively with the (1972 vintage) Summilux 35mm v2 and the (new) Summarit-M 74mm f/2.4. Seems the pairing of lenses made for me on this camera, given that I have all the other focal lengths in R lenses on the SL where I like to use them more for various reasons (but mostly because of the better close focusing range and nicer viewfinder, to my eye).

I purchased a new Elmar-M 24mm ASPH last year. It's a wonderful lens, but I'd hardly used it. Probably should have gone for the 21mm. This thought was gnawing at me a bit over the past few months.

And everyone who's used the Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH, endearingly called the WATE, has been singing its praises. Hmm. Three ultra focal lengths in one ultra lens. Works great with the M-P due to the EVF. Said to work great with the SL as well. Hmm. $5000. Hmm.

Found a mint second-hand WATE for sale at one of my reputable dealer friends' shops. The gentleman selling does trades. How much with a trade? Well, a lot still, but a good bit less than the above when considered together.

My bank account is lighter, two lenses are traveling now, one will arrive there, one will arrive here, and next week I'll see whether everyone singing WATE's praise is just pulling my leg.

I love/hate this stuff. :facesmack:

G

Godfrey

The WATE arrived today.
Now I've got to get out and do a little shooting to see how it compares to the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 and Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5.

Umm ... Compared to either the 15mm or 19mm R lenses, it's a teensy little thing! :)

G

I wonder whether or not you'll like it, in comparison with R 15 and 19mm. Mine's a bit squiffy in the corners at 16mm, but I don't seem to be bothered about that. I got it and the MATE to use for landscapes on the MM, but have switched over to using them on A7rII – another light option for 'scapes.

Hoping to see your work with it soon,

Kirk

PS, if you go all the way and add the MATE you'll start appreciating the 24mm more, because it serves as a bridge between them. Unfortunately I can no longer use mine for that purpose, because it does't cover the Sony's corners very well. Had to switch to a classic retrofocus 25 Zeiss in C/Y mount instead.

Godfrey

The WATE will be used on the M-P and the SL, I'm very eager to see how it performs compared to the two R lenses on the SL, and on the M-P in particular (what it's really meant for). I went for the trade because I mostly use the M-P with 35 and 75 lenses, now and ... why not have something exotic like the WATE for it? As long as it performs well enough on the SL too, it's a plus in any direction. (Jono and several other folks have been saying how well it works on the SL; now I get to find out what I think about it.)

I don't think I'm buying any more lenses. I have way more than I really need for the M-P and SL already. I'll be selling some soon. :)

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't think I'm buying any more lenses.

G
You shouldn't post incomplete sentences, Godfrey. I assume that you mean "I don't think I'm buying any more lenses today.", or maybe even "I don't think I'm buying any more lenses this week.", but unspecified "will not buy" statements tend to leave members of this board insecure and in urgent need of a very large glass of single malt whisky :facesmack: :ROTFL: :chug:

Godfrey

You shouldn't post incomplete sentences, Godfrey. I assume that you mean "I don't think I'm buying any more lenses today.", or maybe even "I don't think I'm buying any more lenses this week.", but unspecified "will not buy" statements tend to leave members of this board insecure and in urgent need of a very large glass of single malt whisky
:toocool:

Enjoy the whiskey! I just had some Glen Rothes ...

I think the WATE passes muster on the SL, right out to the corners. Two test shots:

Leica SL + Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
ISO 200 @ f/5.6 @ 1/50 @ 16mm
ful rez:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1491/25914831853_a3e0efe5f0_o.jpg

Leica SL + Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
ISO 200 @ f/4.8 @ 1/80 @ 21mm
full rez:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1449/26491758256_1e2b4792fa_o.jpg

Good corners, even at 16mm on the SL (haven't tried it on the M-P yet). This makes me very happy.

It's a lovely lens, probably worth the ferocious price, but I have to say that the ergonomics work better on the M-P then they do on the SL. I like the feel of the Super-Elmar-R 15 and Elmarit-R 19 better for SL shooting. The big draw of the WATE is that it's very small and light, and three lenses in one.

onwards!
G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
:toocool:

Enjoy the whiskey! I just had some Glen Rothes ...

G
Unfortunately, I left a bottle of Talisker Dark Storm in Norway. Lots of desirable taste, but unfortunately with very little character. Enjoyable all the same. I believe there's still some Glenmorangie left in Pattaya. Lots of character but skinny taste. If I mix the two, would that be a Double Malt?

Godfrey

Testing with M-P typ 240 this morning. A quick snap on the way to the garage...

Leica M-P typ 240 + Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
ISO 2500 @ f/4 @ 1/15 @ 16mm
Processed from raw on iPad Pro 9.7 inch with PhotoRAW and Snapseed.
full rez:
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1539/26502091576_ea1a3e6c65_o.jpg

16mm on full 35mm format is really wide. I'm standing about six feet from the car...

The WATE handles so beautifully on the M-P. There really is a huge difference between lenses designed for RFs and lenses designed for TTL cameras.

onwards! G

(Oh yes: no corner mush on the M-P either. Not super sharp and a trifle of noise—radical contrast, ISO 2500, and 1/15 second hand held—but all things considered a very pleasing result.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Is the blue to cyan colours around the blown highlight on the floor due to the sensor, the lens or a combination?

Godfrey

Is the blue to cyan colours around the blown highlight on the floor due to the sensor, the lens or a combination?
Most likely due to quick raw conversion of a photo trying to record 13+ stops of illumination range. And the fact that the light there does look rather blue-ish to the eye anyway because it's reflecting the blue sky above it off the polished concrete.