The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Simplicity...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As for higher end cameras - people expect a certain level of control over their image making in "pro bodies"...
But do more features necessarily give a higher level of control? A better viewfinder clearly does, and better ergonomics, and faster AF with better tracking. But when the options become so abundant that only the most dedicated gadget enthusiasts really bother to figure out how everything work, they become distractions more than tools in my book. But maybe I'm getting too old for this ;)

iiiNelson

But do more features necessarily give a higher level of control? A better viewfinder clearly does, and better ergonomics, and faster AF with better tracking. But when the options become so abundant that only the most dedicated gadget enthusiasts really bother to figure out how everything work, they become distractions more than tools in my book. But maybe I'm getting too old for this ;)
Depends on what you define as a feature... I'm speaking purely in the manner of actual options that render potential for higher quality imagery for instance the higher bit rates/resolution offered in pro DSLR for video, the increased dynamic ranges, the larger buffers, the more accurate focusing systems, deeper flash options, faster flash media options, pro level inputs, multiple memory cards, tethering ability, lens calibration options, and the ability to control the like.

Plenty of consumer cameras have many "features" like computer rendered art filters or film simulation modes that most pro bodies skip over which can create additional menu depth.

iiiNelson

Yup, bad year for DSLR in 2015. Here's compared to 2014:

DSLR:
-8.0% (number of bodies)
-8.4% (value)

Mirrorless:
+1.7% (number of bodies)
+8.9% (value)

Interchangeable lens cameras, total:
-5.7% (number of bodies)
-4.5% (value)

Still not bad enough for Nikon to launch a full frame mirrorless yet, and the fact that the total market is decreasing is probably the most worrying fact. Mirrorless is not taking up all the slack for the declining DSLR market.
I think the big things to note are that cameras on phones are destroying the entry level P&S market overall. I think we are nearing a point of there only being $500-1000 range entry level system cameras, $1200-6000 Semi-pro/professional system cameras, and $7,000+ MF and luxury camera options for the more discerning photographer (with the accounts to support these options).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's interesting how complex a topic like "Simplicity" can be. :)

Joel
It's interesting also that "simplicity" can have more or less opposite meanings for different people.

- For some, it might be picking one of several menu items that makes the camera perform a predefined function (A7R II).
- For others, it might be using a camera in manual mode, not going into any menus, and base photography on acquired knowledge and experience (M-D).
- Then there are those who just choose "auto everything" and let the camera do the thinking (iPhone).

Maybe it's more a state of mind than the number of buttons or menu items?

fotografz

Well, of course simplicity, as we are discussing it, is a "state of mind" ... what else would it be?

Yes, simplicity can be a complex issue ... that's true for almost anything involving design and use. Simplicity by design and application is actually harder to achieve than just throwing everything together in a manner less suited to actual use. To me, that's the issue at hand. So, it'd be nice if more of the designers and engineers of these machines also had a streamlined state of mind.

IMO, competitive marketing has ramped up demand for a three ring circus of features replete with an ever increasing array of buttons and dials that are in-turn multiplied via secondary abilities.

To me, the change that has taken place is how modern cameras have imposed its will on the user, rather than opposite. the next great innovation in camera works should be one that's forged in the crucible of actual usage.

Yesterday, a neighbor asked me for some basic lessons on creatively using his camera, a Nikon D5500. A perfect example of the camera dictating intense involvement to control it, while making simplicity a fist fight with the controls = creative vampire.

However, the gamer generation seems to love it.

- Marc

rayyan

Simplicity?

Simple for the user.

Simple? Isn't it?

I mean simple for me. You find something that is simple for you; and be happy. Take photographs :D

Godfrey

It's interesting also that "simplicity" can have more or less opposite meanings for different people.

- For some, it might be picking one of several menu items that makes the camera perform a predefined function (A7R II).
- For others, it might be using a camera in manual mode, not going into any menus, and base photography on acquired knowledge and experience (M-D).
- Then there are those who just choose "auto everything" and let the camera do the thinking (iPhone).

Maybe it's more a state of mind than the number of buttons or menu items?
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-bar/58511-simplicity-post691429.html#post691429
"Simplicity is more a state of mind than anything else."

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Picked up a Leica S. Never want to put it down. I haven't felt a camera get out of my way like that since the Yashicamat TLR. The Q is close and, given its larger feature set, equally impressive for simplicity.

--Matt

Godfrey

... and why I'd rather have an M-D.

Sitting here struggling to figure out how my E-M1 works, this was a great read:

https://ilfordphotowordpresscom.wor...blem-of-buttons-and-why-i-love-a-film-camera/
Back to the beginning ...

My M-D arrived a week ago, I was too busy this past week to do anything but open the box, snap a couple of test shots to be sure it worked, and put it away until I had more time to think about it.

I took it out this morning and am prepping it for my morning walk. Fitting a strap, doing the firmware update, fitting my Summilux 35 v2, sticking the Summarit-M 75 in the bag with it. It is such a easy camera to understand. It can only do what my Nikon F3 or FE2 did in terms of automation, and it has no other features other than including EXIF data so I don't have to carry a notebook to write it all down. Not that I ever really did anyway.

Just getting the camera ready, I like one thing about it instantly: I can pick it up off the table without accidentally putting a thumbprint on the viewfinder or the LCD, or pressing any buttons, thoughtlessly. I can hold it the way I always held a Leica M. And there's not much point to staring at it for more than a couple of seconds to admire its beauty because there's not much else there to see.

The Leica M-D and the Leica SL (or Olympus E-M1) are at the antipodes of the digital camera spectrum. They are the extremes. It's good to have both and be able to make the choice as suits your mood and intent.

Time to get on with it and make some photos, see how the M-D goes. :)

G

Godfrey

Leica M-D typ 262 + Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2
ISO 320 @ f/2 @ 1/15

First official photo out of the M-D typ 262. My apologies about the subject.

The firmware update evidently reset the camera because the file is numbered 0001. A fitting starting point, I guess.

I dumped the M4-2 and all its bits out of my Tenba DNA 8 and stuck the M-D as accoutered, and the Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4, in the bag. Time to go for my walk.

G