The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Celebrity photographer lights up Paris museum

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"He's photographed Princess Diana in diamonds, Madonna in lingerie and top model Gisele Bundchen in the buff.

But celebrated French photographer Patrick Demarchelier says none of the hundreds of pop culture icons he's immortalized in his more than 30 years behind the lens can compare with his dog, whom he calls "the perfect model."

An exhibition at Paris' Petit Palais museum brings together more than 400 of Demarchelier's renowned portraits, including, of course, a ravishing shot of Puffy the long-haired dachshund...."

Celebrity photographer lights up Paris museum

O

Oxide Blu

I have a couple older books of Demarchelier's images, really like his style, his work.

R

Ranger 9

Yeah, I like his style too -- but my problem with the whole "celebrity photography" kick is that celebrities are always the wrong people.

Madonna and Gisele Bundchen are just social parasites. Why are they "celebrities" and not people who have actually accomplished something, such as, say, this guy?

Stuart Richardson

Yeah, I like his style too -- but my problem with the whole "celebrity photography" kick is that celebrities are always the wrong people.

Madonna and Gisele Bundchen are just social parasites. Why are they "celebrities" and not people who have actually accomplished something, such as, say, this guy?
Not to take your question too literally, but they are celebrities because they are entertainers and it is their job to be seen. If they are successful and broad-reaching in their work, it is expected that they will be widely seen and recognized. When someone is often in the public eye, the public usually wants to know more about them. This is not necessarily the case with people doing other types of work at a high level. That said, I would bet more people would recognize Albert Einstein than Gisele Bundchen. Scientists have been known to reach celebrity status -- Galileo, Newton, Oppenheimer, Hawking...all were/are well known not only by name, but by appearance.

cam

thank you, John!

between this and the Robert Frank exhibition i will either be in heaven or vow never to use my camera again....

R

Ranger 9

Well, Galileo kind of reached celebrity status the hard way, what with the Inquisition and all...

My point simply was that when someone is curating a collection of "celebrity portraits," it's more likely to occur to him/her to include a great shot of Sir Elton than of Sir Tim, for example, and I don't think that's right.