Site Sponsors

Thread: Celebrity photographer lights up Paris museum

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Celebrity photographer lights up Paris museum

"He's photographed Princess Diana in diamonds, Madonna in lingerie and top model Gisele Bundchen in the buff.

But celebrated French photographer Patrick Demarchelier says none of the hundreds of pop culture icons he's immortalized in his more than 30 years behind the lens can compare with his dog, whom he calls "the perfect model."

An exhibition at Paris' Petit Palais museum brings together more than 400 of Demarchelier's renowned portraits, including, of course, a ravishing shot of Puffy the long-haired dachshund...."

Celebrity photographer lights up Paris museum

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Oxide Blu

Re: Celebrity photographer lights up Paris museum

I have a couple older books of Demarchelier's images, really like his style, his work.

Ranger 9

Yeah, I like his style too -- but my problem with the whole "celebrity photography" kick is that celebrities are always the wrong people.

Madonna and Gisele Bundchen are just social parasites. Why are they "celebrities" and not people who have actually accomplished something, such as, say, this guy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Timbl
    Attachment 12938
    Now that is a celebrity!
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Yeah, I like his style too -- but my problem with the whole "celebrity photography" kick is that celebrities are always the wrong people.

Madonna and Gisele Bundchen are just social parasites. Why are they "celebrities" and not people who have actually accomplished something, such as, say, this guy?
    Not to take your question too literally, but they are celebrities because they are entertainers and it is their job to be seen. If they are successful and broad-reaching in their work, it is expected that they will be widely seen and recognized. When someone is often in the public eye, the public usually wants to know more about them. This is not necessarily the case with people doing other types of work at a high level. That said, I would bet more people would recognize Albert Einstein than Gisele Bundchen. Scientists have been known to reach celebrity status -- Galileo, Newton, Oppenheimer, Hawking...all were/are well known not only by name, but by appearance.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, John!

between this and the Robert Frank exhibition i will either be in heaven or vow never to use my camera again....

Ranger 9

Well, Galileo kind of reached celebrity status the hard way, what with the Inquisition and all...

My point simply was that when someone is curating a collection of "celebrity portraits," it's more likely to occur to him/her to include a great shot of Sir Elton than of Sir Tim, for example, and I don't think that's right.