The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zen and changing lenses

Lars

When changing lenses on your SLR, in your mind do you remove the lens from the camera or the camera from the lens?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Ommmmm
Lens from the camera unless the lens is really big
-bob

Dale Allyn

I gently and kindly separate the two from one another, neither has priority over the other, for one cannot function without the other; then unite the camera body with a new mate... err, lens of equal importance. The previous lens is respectfully stowed and will surely be addressed again when the time is right for both camera body and lens.

Ommmmmm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting question . I regard the lens as the moveable piece and my thoughts are get it off as fast as can be and give me another one on the body even faster. Let me put it another way i been known to toss a lens in a bag and put another one on about as fast as I can blink. No regard for the lens coming off it did it's job and I want something else fast. I do treat my gear nicely but I will not stop and put a lens cap on to get to the next lens only when I get a break than i will reorganize the bag.

I got a rush saying that. LOL

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
When my gear is spanking brand new, changing lenses takes on all the ritual and formality of a Japanese Tea Ceremony. After awhile though, it's push, turn, yank, toss, cram, turn, click. Sort it out later.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agree the lens is the main subject for the reasons Guy gives, but I counter-twist both at the same time. Weird I know, but then when I'm doing it I don't really think about it and instead just do it. Mount the new one back on that way too, with a counter-twist on both lens and body...

Dale Allyn

Without the grasshopper, the leaf has no purpose. And without the leaf, the grasshopper has no chance.

Or... I twist the lens from the camera body. Either way, when it's all done, I drink wine or spirits.

:)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It is not important if the lens stays on or comes off.
A camera without a lens is only a very small dark room which obscures its purpose.

LJL

I prefer to keep separate lenses mounted to different bodies and then just grab what is needed.....however, that does get costly if you collect a lot of glass ;-)

When shooting, I keep my eyes on the scene, and just replace whatever lens is needed, mostly by feel and trained repetitive muscle movements, as the camera is usually "welded" to my hand via a handstrap.....so the lens gets separated from the body.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Which I believe lead to the phrase for having board meetings "in camera." :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, most of my board meetings are at least in obscura while in camera as well.

O

Oxide Blu

Whether the lens is removed from the camera, or the camera from the lens is directional proportional to their replacement cost if they hit the ground. The 'cheaper' of the two is the one that is 'removed'.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Since the absolute velocity of both camera and lens is so great as we whirl around this universe, the small relative velocities achieved are insignificant and negligible.
-bob

N

nei1

Its really quite dangerous with a screw thread to spin the camera,.............especially if on a tripod.