The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photos from Aleppo, an alternative angle

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a series of good and very interesting photos from war torn Aleppo in Syria, taken by Swedish researcher and photographer Jan Oberg. The story he presents is very different from the official western narrative, and I suggest that we avoid any political discussions about right and wrong here. He has an interesting story to present though, a story that won't be seen in mainstream western media:

https://janoberg.exposure.co/humans-in-liberated-aleppo

Shashin

History is complex. Franco was also seen as a liberator and loved by his supporters. I am not sure I can make the jump that somehow our historical judgement of Franco as a brutal dictator is wrong. The author--and how he got his access does not seem to be explained, but I did not read everything--seems to admit he does on have much to base his statements on except what he saw and the few people he talked to. He does seem to imply a great deal, which is hardly meaningful. Yes, I doubt this would be published in Western or even Eastern "media." Reputable news organizations need more than what is published here.

Thank for posting that. It is important to be able to analyze information and its meaning.

V

Vivek

There has always been representatives of established western media on the rebel side of that area. The last pic. gives a clue as to who gave him a guided tour.

V

Vivek

In most of western EU, nowadays, one gets various TV channels from across the spectrum. The propaganda from all sides. There was live telecast of the inauguration on RT (Russian Television) with live commenatries from Larry King.

Surreal.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just to counterpoint the propaganda that there are no western reporters in the area:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38662195

Not that Assad regime is actually encouraging western reporters to turn up...
Yes, western media came... after the fighting was over. There's even a video online somewhere with a BBC team receiving verbal abuse from Aleppo citizens over their coverage of the conflict.

Compare that to Vietnam, where journalists risked their lives to provide reports from the war, reports that eventually changed the public opinion and thereby the result of the conflict. How the world has changed...

V

Vivek

"Embedded journalists" not unlike the inhouse "reviewers" of camera gear.

Shashin

Yes, western media came... after the fighting was over. There's even a video online somewhere with a BBC team receiving verbal abuse from Aleppo citizens over their coverage of the conflict.

Compare that to Vietnam, where journalists risked their lives to provide reports from the war, reports that eventually changed the public opinion and thereby the result of the conflict. How the world has changed...
Western, Eastern, Northern, Southern, who cares? But why aren't you actually linking to a journalist working in Syria?

Here is an incomplete list of journalist killed in the Syrian civil war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_during_the_Syrian_Civil_War

You can go here too:

https://cpj.org/killed/mideast/syria/

Here is a report from an American journalist:

Dodging death in East Aleppo as a journalist - News from Al Jazeera

A little bit of history, Vietnam was an American military conflict, the Syrian civil war is just that, a Syrian conflict. That might have something to do with more US journalists in Vietnam.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A little bit of history, Vietnam was an American military conflict, the Syrian civil war is just that, a Syrian conflict. That might have something to do with more US journalists in Vietnam.
1. There were journalists from many countries in Vietnam. Here's a list of those killed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_journalists_killed_and_missing_in_the_Vietnam_War

2. Some of the groups in Syria are heavily supported by the USA and other western countries. There are also American and other western military aircraft bombing targets in Syria, including a well published attack on a Syrian government position a few months ago where between 50 and 100 Syrian soldiers died.

3. Western military personnel, also from Norway, are training Jihadist groups that are in opposition to the Syrian government.

4. It's estimated that Jihadist fighters from more than 50 countries participate on the anti government Jihadist side.

5. It's estimated that up to 10,000 ISIS soldiers of different nationalities escaped from Mosul in Iraq to take Palmyra when the fighting in Mosul started.

Interestingly, local support for president Assad has increased dramatically as a result of the conflict, particularly in Aleppo where many lived under Jihadist rule in Eastern Aleppo for 4 years until that part of the city was liberated last month. Interestingly also, Russian sappers have removed up to 25,000 mines, bombs and booby traps in Eastern Aleppo since the liberation.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
This is the last bit of a poem by the late, great Adrian Mitchell, entitled:

To Whom it May Concern.

"You put your bombers in, you put your conscience out,
You take the human being and you twist it all about
So scrub my skin with women
Chain my tongue with whisky
Stuff my nose with garlic
Coat my eyes with butter
Fill my ears with silver
Stick my legs in plaster
Tell me lies, tell me lies about Vietnam."

As the years went by and more and more wars came and went he had to add more and more to the ending.
He said eventually he had to do a re-mix for the 21st century:)

Apparently written after he heard an American GI recount his experiences.

Best listened to Adrian Mitchell recite it all at The International Poetry Incarnation at the Royal Albert Hall in 1965. (On youtube).

This may be a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvgZbB_vBo

Cheers,

gandolfi.