The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Closing threads

but let's not let this forum follow the mainstream US media as only a tool for propaganda.
Do you know how many photojournalists working for mainstream media have died covering stories around the world?

http://www.timhetheringtontrust.org/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Last-picture-photographer-killed-Libya.html

https://cpj.org/2012/05/mexican-photographers-murdered-in-veracruz.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hondros

https://cpj.org/

A bit of reflection. The mainstream media supports journalists around the world. And many have given their lives because they believe in what they do.

jdphoto

Do you know how many photojournalists working for mainstream media have died covering stories around the world?

http://www.timhetheringtontrust.org/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Last-picture-photographer-killed-Libya.html

https://cpj.org/2012/05/mexican-photographers-murdered-in-veracruz.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hondros

https://cpj.org/

A bit of reflection. The mainstream media supports journalists around the world. And many have given their lives because they believe in what they do.

With due respect, i'm only speaking of current US Politics and the MSM's overwhelming support of certain political parties. I have a dear friend who is the Middle East Editor of Newsweek, so no lectures on the dangers and commitment needed.

iiiNelson

IMO there's nothing wrong with responsible censorship. For instance when people continually spread "facts" in favor or opposition to a product without any real first hand experience. I believe journalism refers to that as an uncredible source and censorship is what happens until confirmation can occur.

This forum is pretty free, open, and far more tolerant than I would be in many cases which is one reason I post less frequently than I have in the past. I still love to read many of the discussions and I interject here and there but it is a somewhat less friendly place (generally speaking) than say about 10 years ago or so. 95%+ of the active members are still amazing people and photographers no doubt but a few have made it to my "ridiculous list" by complaining nonstop or repeating the same sentiments in nearly every thread of a particular brand without extensive firsthand experience.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I wouldn't hang here if this place was brand oppressive or authoritarian. I find these forums to be a very frank and honest platform and I really appreciate learning about the merits and truthful justified criticisms of every manufacturer, and btw that includes all those that I use (Phase One, Leica, Sony, Hasselblad, heck even Nikon - all of which I own and use).

jdphoto

I wouldn't hang here if this place was brand oppressive or authoritarian. I find these forums to be a very frank and honest platform and I really appreciate learning about the merits and truthful justified criticisms of every manufacturer, and btw that includes all those that I use (Phase One, Leica, Sony, Hasselblad, heck even Nikon - all of which I own and use).
Who are we to determine what justified criticism is unless you know from personal experience? I don't have to own that camera to understand their frustration. I would be curious if they found relief from this because it's an unusual situation.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Folks,

I've watched this thread for the past couple of days. I am going to let it continue to run precisely because you are being civil in sharing dissenting points of view. However, I'm moving it to the Sunset Bar as it's clearly no longer a "Medium Format" topic.

Regards,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree it's lost it's way in the MF section.

But I did want to point out something. Every vendor,sponsor and it's employees are asked to put all there data in their signature on their profile so it's very transparent who they are. That comes from the admins of this site.

Steve Hendrix

Agree it's lost it's way in the MF section.

But I did want to point out something. Every vendor,sponsor and it's employees are asked to put all there data in their signature on their profile so it's very transparent who they are. That comes from the admins of this site.

This is true! And I like to think of the few dealers that contribute to the forum as a relatively restrained group when it coms to any sort of "hawking" products, as JD put it. In fact, any sort of blatant salesmanship seems pretty rare, and most contributions from dealers or manufacturers are focused on presenting pertinent product performance information.

Steve Hendrix

Guy Mancuso

This is true! And I like to think of the few dealers that contribute to the forum as a relatively restrained group when it coms to any sort of "hawking" products, as JD put it. In fact, any sort of blatant salesmanship seems pretty rare, and most contributions from dealers or manufacturers are focused on presenting pertinent product performance information.

Steve Hendrix
Thanks Steve. This is important as it keeps us members in the loop of new products, tests and data that help us members make good decisions.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You had a fight without me participating? But, but... that's my specialty, yelling at cameras I don't use. I'm starting to get old apparently :(

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
On the serious side:
The ceiling height on this forum is rather high, and criticism of brands and cameras, any brand and any camera, also by those who don't have a clue what they're talking about (like me) is widely tolerated. That is only possible when

a. Each forum member accepts that others have a different point of view than themselves, whatever the background for that view is.

b. That we discuss the gear, not the other member, even when that other member seems not to understand what he or she is talking about and even when the first word that pops up in your head when reading his or her post is "moron" or "idiot".

c. That the actions of the moderators are respected unconditionally, even if one disagrees strongly with that action. Without that respect, there is no forum.

It's not important to be right or win the discussion. It's important to have a great time, to learn and to interact with other photographers. At the end of the day, what camera we like or use doesn't matter anyway. Our attitudes do.

Guy Mancuso

Best words of the day.

It's not important to be right or win the discussion. It's important to have a great time, to learn and to interact with other photographers. At the end of the day, what camera we like or use doesn't matter anyway. Our attitudes do.

In all seriousness its one of the better forums in existence for Photography. We don't ever want to get like some of them out there. This is a moderated forum and we really try and do our job well. If you don't like the moderation than go somewhere else. But I know most if not 99 percent of our members like it when we do come down like rocks because it maybe warranted to protect ourselves from ourselves or from someone that just wants to hurt your feelings. We are all human and we need to take a page of humanity and make it a better world.:lecture::clap::D

Now go out and shoot some dang images and post them in the fun threads.

Godfrey

You had a fight without me participating? But, but... that's my specialty, yelling at cameras I don't use. I'm starting to get old apparently :(
Hmm. That ship has sailed, for me anyway. I'm looking for the return ticket. :D

G

Last edited:

jdphoto

I'm impressed by your editing skills, Guy!

I think we were all tired of the old thread and no one got too excited about keeping a new one going, so it just petered out.

I have enough people on ignore now that I often miss the worst behavior. Advantages and disadvantages to that.

--Matt

BTW, what's the procedure for reporting something to the mods? I mean, I can send a message to an individual, but it there something more general?
You would not be my first choice as debate partner if you ignore offending behavior.
Yes, there is advantages to differing opinions when you can be objective. The OP had an emotional and substantial investment in the Leica S and many others had similar experiences. So, it's not out of the norm that people vent their frustrations. The troll who posted the nasty comment to the OP should have been reported or flagged, but the thread was allowed to continue unabated for several more posts.
As far as sponsors who post here. Yeah, most of the time it's obvious, but their opinions are mostly subjective imo, in many situations because of brand loyalty. Nothing wrong with that, but it has to be taken within the context of a discussion or it feels tainted. Enough said.

jdphoto

On the serious side:
The ceiling height on this forum is rather high, and criticism of brands and cameras, any brand and any camera, also by those who don't have a clue what they're talking about (like me) is widely tolerated. That is only possible when

a. Each forum member accepts that others have a different point of view than themselves, whatever the background for that view is.

b. That we discuss the gear, not the other member, even when that other member seems not to understand what he or she is talking about and even when the first word that pops up in your head when reading his or her post is "moron" or "idiot".

c. That the actions of the moderators are respected unconditionally, even if one disagrees strongly with that action. Without that respect, there is no forum.

Excellent points! The moderators do have a responsibility to keep it civil and sometimes trolls slip through the cracks, but I use GetDpi as part of my research when scouting for new gear. New camera releases, beta testers, rich guys with nothing better to do, are all important criteria when compiling a list of potential purchases. Their experience is valid, but ego's are fragile and that tends to drive the discussion.

jdphoto

:)
Best words of the day.

In all seriousness its one of the better forums in existence for Photography. We don't ever want to get like some of them out there. This is a moderated forum and we really try and do our job well. If you don't like the moderation than go somewhere else. But I know most if not 99 percent of our members like it when we do come down like rocks because it maybe warranted to protect ourselves from ourselves or from someone that just wants to hurt your feelings. We are all human and we need to take a page of humanity and make it a better world.:lecture::clap::D

Now go out and shoot some dang images and post them in the fun threads.
I can't argue that. GetDpi, is most certainly a kinder, gentler forum, but we don't want that familiarity to hinder objectivity either. I'm not saying it does that, but it might. I'm actually really surprised at the amount of vitriol i've read in other forums. I mean, just plain nasty! So this is refreshing to know that members look out for one another and since we're all so close, can I use a few of your cameras:)