The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Closing threads

jdphoto

This is tantamount to censorship and not conducive to amicable resolution, but yet a predictable response. The "Potential Warning" thread to Leica S owners was imo, evolving to that resolution. We all must be respectful towards differing opinions and keep within the guidelines, but let's not let this forum follow the mainstream US media as only a tool for propaganda.

Last edited:

Paratom

This is tantamount to censorship and not conducive to amicable resolution, but yet a predictable response from GetDPI who run banner ads. The "Potential Warning" thread to Leica S owners was imo, evolving to that resolution. We all must be respectful towards differing opinions and keep within the guidelines, but let's not let this forum follow the mainstream US media as only a tool for propaganda.
Hi there,
I assume the thread was not closed down because of critics towards Leica (or the other way around), but because the discussion became too personal and not based on facts any more.

pegelli

Hi there,
I assume the thread was not closed down because of critics towards Leica (or the other way around), but because the discussion became too personal and not based on facts any more.
+1

Respectful critics of any brand have never been disallowed on GetDPI. Personal attacks and unwillingness to accept there are two sides to every story are in my mind more likely to be the root cause of the moderator action. Accusing GetDPI for closing the thread for commercial reasons is unproven and unfounded.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Accusing GetDPI for closing the thread for commercial reasons is unproven and unfounded.
It reflects the ignorance of anyone who would posit the accusation.

The forum is changing ... my criticism is that the moderators let the rant and objectionable behavior persist
for a long time before acting. They were a lot more tolerant than I would have been.

A review of the rules would be nice periodically ... especially for newer members.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/about-g...ion-new-registrants-need-read.html#post119162

"Forum Rules:

1) Keep your discussions polite, fun and on topic. In short, act like you would at a friend's dinner party. Arguing, rudeness, generally poor or negative behavior will be dealt with at moderator discretion as they see fit. This may result in the offending post(s) or entire thread(s) being deleted with or without explanation, and/or the offending poster(s) being banned or having their accounts suspended or erased. Note that broader topical and emotional latitude is tolerated in the "Sunset Bar" forum, but decisions on thread or post appropriateness remain at moderator discretion there as well."

Nothing in the closed thread approached this collegial attitude towards the end ... bickering and ad hominem attacks more likely to be found on a number of other forum that
most of us avoid like the plague.

Vivek and Matt ... my vote is to make it sticky and hidden ...

Regards,

Bob

jdphoto

It is not with ignorance that comment was made. These threads have been closed for far less. The analysis and judgement as to what's ignorant should be a topic worthy of its own thread. Don't you think?

MGrayson

It's true that not all products are given the same protection. If I said anything negative about Sony in a Sony forum, I'd be banned before the pixels dried. Leica and Phase One usually take more abuse before someone steps in. However, I think this has nothing to do with financial incentives to GetDPI and everything to do with the fact that we're all human and we have our favorites. Right now, Sony, Hasselblad, and Fuji can do no wrong. I don't begrudge them that - no one is forcing me to switch systems, and advancement benefits us all.

--Matt

pegelli

It's true that not all products are given the same protection. If I said anything negative about Sony in a Sony forum, I'd be banned before the pixels dried.
Care to give any examples? I can easily find several threads critical of Sony equipment in the Sony forum (for example calling certain lenses POS etc., problems with quality control and customer service, ....) and none of these are closed or attracted serious moderator attention (that I can see now). But what I do see in these is that they're only critical of the equipment/company and there are very few ad-hominem attacks on people with a differing opinion or point of view.

pegelli

The forum is changing ... my criticism is that the moderators let the rant and objectionable behavior persist
for a long time before acting. They were a lot more tolerant than I would have been.
I am a moderator/administrator of another forum so sympathize with the crew here. You can't monitor every thread 24/7, so moderation relies on people using the report button and voice their concern. Members using this facility diligently makes life for the moderators a whole lot easier and they can be quicker to stop a discussion which is going off the rails.

MGrayson

:eek: You caught me. I'm really just annoyed that Guy (Guy! - who was I going to complain to?) yelled at me for preferring the Canon 1 series AF tracking to Sony's, and he used his Grandson to do it. It was certainly the last time I uttered a word in a Sony forum about the equipment. I'll post pictures there when appropriate.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Where did this silly thread come from. Really I changed 5 poopy diapers today. That was more fun than this I gotta say.

MGrayson

This thread was a direct response to the closing of the previously mentioned "Warning to Leica Buyers" thread. The OP felt that it was criticism of Leica that closed the thread and not uncivil behavior.

--Matt

Thanks Matt never saw it. But if Cindy closed it than this thread is not warranted at all. I'm sure if not 110 percent sure it was civil disobedience. People need to get along or they will go away. We will not back off our no hassle rules. Like to know why no one is reporting these or did I miss that. I was away for awhile

Last edited by a moderator:

MGrayson

I'm impressed by your editing skills, Guy!

I think we were all tired of the old thread and no one got too excited about keeping a new one going, so it just petered out.

I have enough people on ignore now that I often miss the worst behavior. Advantages and disadvantages to that.

--Matt

BTW, what's the procedure for reporting something to the mods? I mean, I can send a message to an individual, but it there something more general?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Its a icon below your signature believe . So hit the offending post icon. It goes to all mods. Don't do individual as we may not get it or late to respond.

jdphoto

It's true that not all products are given the same protection. If I said anything negative about Sony in a Sony forum, I'd be banned before the pixels dried. Leica and Phase One usually take more abuse before someone steps in. However, I think this has nothing to do with financial incentives to GetDPI and everything to do with the fact that we're all human and we have our favorites. Right now, Sony, Hasselblad, and Fuji can do no wrong. I don't begrudge them that - no one is forcing me to switch systems, and advancement benefits us all.

--Matt
I think this is because Sony is far more reliable then MFD and has everything to do with financial incentives from the buyers perspective at least. Yes, we do have our favorites, those are usually the brands that are reliable and allow a photographer to concentrate on their work as opposed to wondering whether it will.