The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wednesday started badly but ended well

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice... Is it just me, or might it be a bit better with the wingtips not cropped?

R

Ranger 9

Nice... Is it just me, or might it be a bit better with the wingtips not cropped?
It might be, but there was a heating duct up there and she kept getting the tips up past it, so I decided that I could go with the crop. There are some others in the set with the wingtips uncropped, and I think I like this one just as well; maybe it's just a rationalization, but I tell myself that in this case I'm just concerned with filling the picture rectangle with shapes and colors, rather than representing a three-dimensional volume of real space.

I've taken some workshops with Lois Greenfield, who (before she went digital) always used to leave the black frame edges around her images; she'd say the edges are part of the picture space and it's perfectly okay to have the other shapes interact with them if that's what works for the image.

One of the best of the many great things I've heard Lois say is that as a photographer, you're responsible for every square millimeter of what's in the picture space; that doesn't mean you have to plan all of it or micromanage it, but you need to take responsibility for it. I hadn't planned to crop the wingtips, but I've decided I'm willing to accept responsibility for them, and I can live with that.