The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

March 11th, anniversary of the Tohoku tsunami in Japan

Shashin

Today is the 6th anniversary of the Tohoku tsunami. Usually, photographers go to an unknown place to photograph these types of events. Japanese landscape photographer Naoya Hatakeyama had a different experience: his hometown was one of those destroyed. I did a review of one his books on this event, Kesengawa. Needless to say it is a very personal book, but very different from more typical types of documentary. At the end of the review is a one-hour lecture he gave in Boston on this--he is a very thoughtful photographer.

Kesengawa: Naoya Hatakeyama | Hakusan Creation

I certainly would learn about Hatakeyama's work beyond this tragedy.

Oren Grad

Thanks for sharing.

I had the opportunity to see his work as part of the 3/11 show at the Boston MFA...

In the Wake | Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

..though unfortunately I missed his talk at the time.

The range of approaches represented in the show, and the range of photographers - some very big names of Japanese photography, as well as others I wasn't familiar with - made for quite a mix. The slide show on the MFA exhibition page gives a small taste.

Shashin

I just picked up the French edition of Hatakeyama's latest book Rikusentaka, which chronicles 5 years after the disaster. The text is both French and English. Much of that work was in the Boston exhibition and lecture.

For anyone interested in Japanese photography, Yale University Press made a wonderful exhibition catalog titled, not ironically, The History of Japanese Photography.