The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Leica Look

fotografz

Thanks for this Jorgen! It is quite a refreshing point of view.

Irakly is something of a force of nature. He has a knack for succinctly articulating what others intuitively conclude but have trouble putting into words.

In this article, I hear echoes of many discussions we had over the years. This article packages it all up and takes it to a new level.

Best description of micro-contrast I've read to date. Best rationalization as to why Leica need not try to lead in the megapixel wars ... a conclusion I came to when selecting the S camera ... it is the lenses, and despite all the S lens AF issues I have experienced, I persist in preferring the S over other MF choices.

It'll be interesting how others react to this post:shocked:

- Marc

V

Vivek

Good timing! In this era of alternative facts, the "leica look" is awesome! :thumbs:

D&A

Thanks very much Jorgen for the link to Irakly's article. An excellent read and to which many of his explanations I wholeheartedly agree with.

I do hope at some point he further extends his thougts as to how some of his prime examples of certain lenses translate in their use on all the various series of Leica digital rangefinders and how some of the digital rangefinder models might contribute or subtract from the Leica look while using of some of the lenses he's selected. I have my own thoughts on this topic and no doubt many here do to but would love to hear Irakly's thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

4season

I will never look at oranges in quite the same way again :D

No comment on his essay, but I like his photos.

Godfrey

Seems like a huge lot of pompous navel-gazing.

Some of his photos are okay, I guess. Most don't do anything for me, they're kinda boring as figure studies go.

G

Maggie O

The article is OK. It kind of re-states the obvious.

The photos are horrid, save the ballet practice. Weird-*** objectification of women is just creepy, dude.

rayyan

Sometimes, I convince myself that I see virgins dancing on a needle. When I put my prescription specs on, they are there no more.

Yup friends, repeat something often enough, and one begins to make an effort to
Experience it.

V

Vivek

Jorgen, No micro contrast, unpleasant boket and distinctly no leica look in there! :lecture:

Godfrey

How about a 1600 HF, the perfect compliment to an M3 :)

Yes! I love those cars. :) Every time I see one it brings a smile to my face.

I've been entranced by a Lancia Fulvia since I was a child, particularly the Fulvia Sport with the Zagato body but the 1600HF would do me fine as well. I had a chance to buy The Fulvia Sport that I'd seen for years when I was a teenager about a decade later ... and then I saw that the idiot prior owner had parked it on grass for five years so the entire undercarriage was completely, irretrievably rotted away.

It'll probably never happen now, they're too old ... and I'm too old to rush in and spend a fortune as I once would. But I did get to drive a nice one once and the fantasy of owning and driving one is a pleasant thing to visit now and then. I had Alfa Romeos for years so I know all about the ownership and maintenance of old Italian Sports Cars, no surprises there. But I'll stick with my little German space ship.

Acceptance.

G

4season

Beautiful car! Wouldn't mind building a scale model of it. But I'd best leave actual ownership to those with more cash to burn than I.

fotografz

Interesting reaction to Jorgen's posted link.

For GetDpi, technical opinions aside, a somewhat uncharacteristically nasty attack on a photographer's work by those who would explode in indignation if the favor were returned ... followed by swiftly devolving to materialistic sheet metal envy.

Evidently, being fooled by a shiny facade isn't just limited to cars and men ... Iraky's so called "objectification of women" is actually the opposite ... it is a social commentary on that very subject in western culture ... for which he is well known.

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Interesting reaction to Jorgen's posted link.

For GetDpi, technical opinions aside, a somewhat uncharacteristically nasty attack on a photographer's work by those who would explode in indignation if the favor were returned ... followed by swiftly devolving to materialistic sheet metal envy.

Evidently, being fooled by a shiny facade isn't just limited to cars and men ... Iraky's so called "objectification of women" is actually the opposite ... it is a social commentary on that very subject in western culture ... for which he is well known.

- Marc
Unfortunately, subtle intellectual messages, like subtle visual variations, struggle to survive in today's "with us or against us" Foxified world. Irakly's figure skater is exactly what I hope my daughters and granddaughters will become; strong, determined and with style.

Irakly's visions shows me a photographer who knows his tools and trusts his abilities. That will always please some and annoy others. The fact that he doesn't leave many untouched just shows that he has succeeded.