The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best..

Tim

Seeing how is slow here, time for dumb question, so here goes -

Q: What is your suggestion for best lens under 135mm or equivalent for Bokeh? Don't care about sensor, brand, camera, format, cost, size or even sharpness, IQ, resolution etc. What would be your all time best for yielding the "best" bokeh ? Sure, include a camera combo if you think that is part of it. Just interested in hearing what are some of the top dogs across brands. You don't have to own the lens to include it here either.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Canon 85/1.2, Leica 75/2 (I like the Crons more than the Luxes). Does the Canon 135/2 count, or does it have to be shorter than 135?. All the Leica S lenses. Apodizing lenses have great bokeh. Fuji makes a 56/1.2 APD. Minolta made a 135 APD as well.

That's what I can think of offhand.

--Matt

Tim

Canon 85/1.2, Leica 75/2 (I like the Crons more than the Luxes). Does the Canon 135/2 count, or does it have to be shorter than 135?. All the Leica S lenses. Apodizing lenses have great bokeh. Fuji makes a 56/1.2 APD. Minolta made a 135 APD as well.

That's what I can think of offhand.

--Matt
Hi Matt, yeah 135 or less, I forgot about the Canon 135/2, that really has it. All Leica S is interesting. The Leica 75/2 also. I wonder what anyone may suggest in m43.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I liked the Oly 45/1.8, but never shot with the PanaLeica 45/1.2. The Oly 75/1.8 was sharp as hell, but I don't recall its bokeh.

--Matt

fotografz

DSLRs: Canon 85/1.2 and 135/2; Contax CY 85/1.2 and 55/1.2 100 Jahre Anniversary lenses, Contax CY 28/2 "Hollywood", Contax CY 100/2, Contax N-85/1.4, Sony ZA 135/1.8, Leica R-35/1.4, R-50/1.4 (last version), and R-80/1.4 (note that the mechanical Contax CY lenses can be adapted to most mirrorless cameras and many DSLRs).

Rangefinder: Leica 50/1.4 Pre ASPH and ASPH; Leica 50/1.0 Noctilux and 75/1.4 (Mandler versions before the 50/0.95 ASPH and 75/2 AA); M-21/1.4 and 35/1.4 ASPH when used with a close-up adapter or TechArt AF unit on a Sony.

MFD: Hasselblad Zeiss FE 110/2; Leica S lenses in general and specifically the S-100/2 and S-120/2.5 Macro; Contax645 80/2; (the Hasselblad FE mechanical lens can be adapted to almost any camera, the others cannot).

IMO, the best all around for Bokeh, actual use, and price/value are the Canon lenses. The actual best I've used were the Zeiss Contax 100th Anniversary 85/1.2 and 55/1.2 (the 55 is now a rare collectors item and the cost is still sky-high).

My favorite lenses as a set was the Leica R 35 and 80.

- Marc

V

Vivek

More?

Olympus OM F.Zuiko 85/2 (Sony FF) (sonnar clone):

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Jupiter-8 5cm f/2 (Sony FF) (sonnar clone):

CZJ Sonnar 7.5cm f/4 (Robot mount) (Sony FF):

Sony FE 50/1.8 auto focus (Sony FF):

Leica AA Summicron 75/2 (Sony FF):

Olympus OM 50/1.2 (Sony FF):

Sony RX1R II:

Tim

Is it just me or is that Canon 50mm f.95 a bit harsh?
Seems the Leica stuff is pretty consistently good at Bokeh

I remember now the Mitakon 50mm f0.95 was hard to beat

V

Vivek

The best so far (for me) is the RX1R II. I hope Sony brings out a 50mm version.

Here is another 50/0.95 for you (Leica MM). Keep in mind that boket depends on the lighting. My earlier sample was shot at 0.95 and at ISO 128000 on a Sony A7s.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm very happy with the Samyang 135mm f/2 and it's very cheap. Here's one taken with the D2Xs at f/2:

A zoom lens I'm very happy with is the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 for m4/3. Here with the G85 at 35mm and f/2.8:

An old favourite, and better than the 12-35, is the PL 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 in 4/3 mount. Here with the L1, probably at 50mm and f/3.5:

Here's the Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 mentioned further up. That's a lens that does everything right: