The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for a bag ...

Godfrey

Gads, I have a dozen or more excellent camera bags and I'm stymied to find one that will serve what I want properly! That's why I have a dozen or more excellent camera bags ...

I'm looking for a simple bag. Something that is light, has a main interior compartment that is approximately 10 x 8 x 4 1/2 inches in size. I'd like a nice material like treated canvas or medium weight leather, a couple of sensibly placed and useable exterior and interior pockets for organization of smaller things, and a strap attachment that is versatile enough for me to try with different straps (different lengths and materials). I'd like the bag to have minimal to no velcro and a simple closure mechanism. An over-flap top is okay as long as I can fold it back out of the way when using the bag. Some structure so that it holds its shape when empty to make it easy to get gear in and out. It should be wearable bandolier style and include attachment points to use with a belly strap so I can keep it in place when riding a bicycle or motorcycle. The interior organization and padding should be simply adjustable and able to be removed for cleaning. It should conform to the body well when being used and feel nice to the touch when handled.

I've looked at and tried dozens of bags trying to find this one. If I'd found one that did this, I'd have stopped looking so obviously I haven't found it yet. Most of the designs that get close are either much bigger or too small to be useful. Few have the strap features that are so essential.

I believe at this point that I'm going to have to design and learn how to manufacture my bag. This is either an "Argggh!" or an entertaining challenge to engage in.

G

"No matter where you go, there you are."

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Billingham or Domke with the strap cut off and attachment points for other straps sewn on? Those are the makes I keep coming back to. The Ming Thein bag also had a fixed strap :(

Good luck!

Matt

V

Vivek

I believe at this point that I'm going to have to design and learn how to manufacture my bag. This is either an "Argggh!" or an entertaining challenge to engage in.
In my case it turned out OK.

My criteria:

1. Non conspicuous.
2. Cheaper than "regular" (backpacks) bags.
3. Light weight and durable for a set of gear.

This is what I did.

Buy cheap (but nicely designed) backpacks (here we have Decathlon, a French chain) and stuff them with lens inserts bought online (China) for padding the gear.

I would say, go for it! :)

Godfrey

Billingham or Domke with the strap cut off and attachment points for other straps sewn on? Those are the makes I keep coming back to. The Ming Thein bag also had a fixed strap :(

Good luck!
There are at least six Domke bags in my closet, as well as three Billinghams and several A&As. The A&As are in some ways closest to what I'm looking for and are generally what I grab most of the time these days.

But ... they're not quite right. The insert is a bit odd, the strap options are nonexistent, etc.

I'm working on designs right now. :)

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I understand. I'm not happy with any over-the-shoulder bags. I'm pretty happy with the f-stop backpacks. They're much more comfortable, but not as convenient.

Good luck, and if you come up with a good design, let us know!

Matt