The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smartphones and why it's changing the camera industry

V

Vivek

The new sony phones are supposed to do 3D captures so that a 3D figure can be printed out. To hell with 2D prints.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In 2016, Apple had a market share in the mobile phone market of 14.4%, down from 15.9% in 2015. They are number 2 after Samsung who had market shares of 20.5% in 2016 and 22.5% in 2015. They are both losing ground to Chinese brands that become increasingly stronger. The iPhone 7 isn't even among the 10 best selling phones. It costs as much as a used car in some countries.

The change belongs to the technology, not to one particular company. Although Apple is among the top sellers, and in some areas a technology leader, this didn't start with them and it won't end with them.

What makes my head spin is that the latest commercially available 0.25 gram Micro SD card has a capacity of 400GB. That's the kind of technology that makes a micro device like a camera phone interesting for high end photography and video. Apple doesn't subscribe to that technology. They don't subscribe to anything that is modular, since it would make their devices last longer and sales drop.

Apple is a high end gadget designer that sells products aiming to become obsolete sooner rather than later. Their users interfaces are great and their marketing and PR work even greater. The article in The New Yorker is living proof of the latter.

jdphoto

In 2016, Apple had a market share in the mobile phone market of 14.4%, down from 15.9% in 2015. They are number 2 after Samsung who had market shares of 20.5% in 2016 and 22.5% in 2015. They are both losing ground to Chinese brands that become increasingly stronger. The iPhone 7 isn't even among the 10 best selling phones. It costs as much as a used car in some countries.

The change belongs to the technology, not to one particular company. Although Apple is among the top sellers, and in some areas a technology leader, this didn't start with them and it won't end with them.

What makes my head spin is that the latest commercially available 0.25 gram Micro SD card has a capacity of 400GB. That's the kind of technology that makes a micro device like a camera phone interesting for high end photography and video. Apple doesn't subscribe to that technology. They don't subscribe to anything that is modular, since it would make their devices last longer and sales drop.

Apple is a high end gadget designer that sells products aiming to become obsolete sooner rather than later. Their users interfaces are great and their marketing and PR work even greater. The article in The New Yorker is living proof of the latter.
Excellent points! Yeah, my intention was to not single Apple out, but the smartphone industry as a whole. Apple's marketing is akin to digital cameras in some respects and why there's such a glut of depreciation and waste. This has helped fueled my rant about consumerism in general. Recently, I saw some portraits done with a smartphone and was convinced these were done with high end cameras. For many, photography is being desensitized by the amount of technology and ease one can put into digital photos.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The mobile phone that in my view broke the quality barrier was the Nokia 808 with its 41MP sensor, great colour quality and surprising dynamic range. What's scary is that the Nokia today seems like something from ancient times, while in reality it was announced only 5 years ago, in February 2012. Still, it's today totally obsolete with it's Symbian operating system that, although very user friendly, proved unsustainable in other ways.