The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smaller, lighter.... or maybe not?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I hadn't seen Framed Show before, but the woman swinging an RZ67 from just after 14 minutes here deserves some admiration. Reminds me that I have to go to the gym more often... aaand not always chicken out with a paltry 645 when travelling. I do after all have the beautiful GX680 in my arsenal :shocked:

https://youtu.be/8aIwuU6AFtg?t=856

Knorp

I found swinging 'heavy' equipment for some time not the biggest issue: it's carrying 'heavy' equipment in a shoulder bag while walking 'long' distances (10, 15 or 20 km) that kills my back.
The odd thing is that holding 'heavy' equipment in my hand while walking, instead of in the shoulder bag, results in far less fatique and back strain.
Can't see me using one, but perhaps a backpack is the better solution ?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I found swinging 'heavy' equipment for some time not the biggest issue: it's carrying 'heavy' equipment in a shoulder bag while walking 'long' distances (10, 15 or 20 km) that kills my back.
The odd thing is that holding 'heavy' equipment in my hand while walking, instead of in the shoulder bag, results in far less fatique and back strain.
Can't see me using one, but perhaps a backpack is the better solution ?
I mostly use backpacks, but some cameras, like the GX680, are too large for most backpacks. I agree though, that carrying a heavy camera in the hand is sometimes the best solution. Unfortunately, cameras like the RZ67 and GX680 come without a grip. They where probably never meant to be used handheld, although I do sometimes. I even have the neck strap for the beast :)