The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

incident vs reflective metering for film

jdphoto

Using an incident meter to measure color negative film is pretty accurate. However, some cameras I use have a built in meter that acts like a reflective meter. What's the best way to use a cameras built in meter to get the same results as an incident meter. One thought is to use the reflective meter as I would shooting black and white film by placing what I perceive to be middle gray or in other words, the zone method.

Your idea works. Point built-in camera mater at back of hand. Pretty close to 18% gray. Green grass, bright red also works. To build confidence try all three and compare to incident meter readings.

Side note. Neg film pretty tolerant of less than optimum exposure.

Shashin

I echo seablister. Learn good targets in a scene to meter off. Generally, if you take the area that is in the middle tone of a scene, you will be fine. Personally, I have always used an incident meter and set the camera from that. I find it fast and simple. But it does come with experience.

jdphoto

I appreciate the comments! Thank you. There are times when using the camera's meter is more convenient, but thankfully color film is very forgiving of overexposure. I'm tempted to get a Sekonic L398A meter. Old school technique that could teach me too.