The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac experts! Need help.

rayyan

My IMac crashed. Tried recovery disk, cloned b/u, internet recovery...nothing.
Given to Apple Care.

I have a new MacBook Pro.
Can I install some applications on the MacBook from my b/u.

I need to install PS CS6. Others I can download, but CS6 fails.

Help, please.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you have a Time Machine backup, I think you should be able to re-install CS6 from the TM backup. Open Time machine with the backup disk connected. When you get to the stack of "windows", click your way to the CS6 folder in the first window. With the CS6 folder marked, click restore.

If you have used another backup program, I would try a drag and drop from the backup to the application folder of the new machine and see if it works. Sometimes this works well on a Mac, but you may be asked for the serial number when you start it on the new machine.

If you have backed up with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), you should try to use CCC to restore things you need from the backup. Unlike most backup programs, CCC creates an exact copy, bit by bit, of the source disk, which makes it a very useful program when things go wrong. You can even boot a Mac from a CCC created backup.

For all solutions, it's important that you restore the whol CS6 folder, not only the program.

rayyan

Hi Bob, Jorgen..

Firstly, grateful for your responses.

Bob....

I have b/u with the Time Machine.

The HD is accessible in Target Mode..that is the case when I start the Mac in recovery mode.
I have run disk utilities and the app reports my HD. To be ok.

As for CS6, I ended up at the same url you suggest...downloaded CS6. But the install fails repeatedly.
I do have the registration and license keys for the program.
Adobe put me on chat. I waited almost all night..but no cs rep came online.
I went to their support forums...was directed to various sites for installation, but no luck.

Worse case scenario, I will download Capture One Pro which I have neglected so far and make do.

Once again, appreciate your help.

Kind regards.

rayyan

Hello Jorgen.
How are doing?

I have the CCC SW and a clone has been created with it on the b/u disk.
I have the license for it.
However, I did not try your suggestion as my IMac is a 3 TB disk whereas my MacBook is 1 TB.
However, I shall try your suggestion and see what happens.

The Time Machine b/u stacks you mention were tried but without any success.

I have written to Blombich ( ? ), the CCC people, and was waiting for their reply.

Thanks for your advice. Shall keep you posted on progress..if any.

Kindest regards.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
SO if you have success with the HD in target mode I assume you can use the migration assistant to move PS back to the new MacBook.

The question with CCC is how big the file that is a clone and whether you could borrow a drive to restore and migrate from there.

With Time Machine you should be able to find the directory for PS and try to restore it to a similar place on the MacBook ... but there
are always a few files that are in Library or elsewhere ... do a search for a blog that might talk about this kind of recovery.

Godfrey is pretty mac savvy ... try a PM to him.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/members/godfrey/

Best luck.

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Rayyan,

Took this to heart ... did a bunch of disk rearranging this week ... now have an internal clone of the
startup drive ... it is a fairly stable Samsung SSD but do not want to be without options.

Any luck with the recovery?

Bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One question: Have you tried too boot from the CCC backup disk? I have done that successfully in the past. That opens up several possibilities. It's also possible to boot from a Time Machine backup disk. In both cases, you hold the "option" key while starting the computer. After a while, you'll get possible boot disk alternatives up on the monitor.

rayyan

Thanks guys.

I received a response from CCC. Very helpful.
In my haste, deleted the post :mad:

What they told me was, it might work. The caveat being that OSX High Sierra
makes a firmware mod, specific to the machine it was installed on!

I have downloaded my licensed Capture One Pro, and Affinity Photo.

I am a little hesitant to restore from the cloned HD.

No luck with Adobe! Don’t even have an email!

Grateful for your help.

p.s. guess one should not mix n match OSX clones too!

rayyan

Success!

First and foremost, I am grateful to Bob (docmoore ) and Jorgen for having given me of their time and their advice. Thank you guys.:salute:

I did not use the Time Machine B/U.

I used the Carbon Copy Cloner and the clone I had made of my now sick iMac; on an external HD. ( I had actually made 3 clones!! ).

I tested my Mackbook Pro with one of the cloned HDs. Fired up the system while pressing <option> key, so as to choose the boot up disk.
I choose one of the connected clones.

I started the CCC app on the cloned disk. There was a notification that a new version of CCC was available and would I like to update.
I did. That was a mistake!! Either something in the cloned disk or incompatibility of the b/u with the previous version of CCC, I do not know.

I then went through the same routine but with the 2nd of the CCC clones. This time I did not upgrade to the latest version. I choose to restore only some of the files;
omitting all the photo image files, and other unnecessary clutter.
Went to have coffee at Starbucks! Honest.

On my return about an hour later, I was greeted with a message on the screen informing of a successful restore!!;);)

But how to remove the external HD? I couldn't eject it as it was the start-up disk.
I just shut down my MacBook, and restarted with the <option > key pressed.
Choose the MacBook disk as the start-up.

Most relevant apps, inc. Adobe, asked for the license key. Have them handy.

Ejected my external HD, safely.

All apps were run successfully.

A special thanks to the folks at CCC, for having responded to my queries.
The CCC software is highly recommended. Its value is found when the HD or the system crashes.
It also maintains the correct hierarchy of all the files during the restore process.

Biggest issue was that getting the connectors sorted out...I was running usb-A/B ports.
MacBook Pro only has the usb-C ports....get your connectors sorted.

Have all passwords ready, cables ready, do not upgrade to any newer versions of sw until restore is completed.
And do have multiple b/u, clearly labeled as to the OS X version, and date of last b/u..in case of incremental b/u.

Hope this helps someone non Apple tech savvy soul somewhere.

I shall let you know how the iMac restore goes, if and when it is discharged from the ICU.

Best regards.

rayyan

Hurray...the iMac is back and in service.
Cost US$ 300/=...HD replaced. Although disk utility said it was ok.
Apple certifies diagnostics passed.

CCC was used to clone the b/u onto the iMac.

A shout out to Nate at Alienskin for doing remote diagnostics and getting Exposure X3 up and running.
Cannot overstate the helpfulness of these two companies ( CCC and Alienskin Software....top notch support I have never experienced before :salute: )

Back in business.

Thanks to Bob ( docmoore ) and Jorgen for their help and being there!:salute: