The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How many megapixels do you need?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Doug.
Let me go and search for it. I think I was looking at the D 850 and came across this.

Best.
I can't get the lonk to work either, but I saw some excellent portraits taken with a D2Hs the other day. Lack of resolution was not a problem that sprung to my mind. I'll be re-visiting my Fuji S3 during my Songkran Holiday in April, and will also take the Panasonic L1 for a swing. I've been printing some photos to use as gifts lately, including some taken with those cameras, and it has encouraged me to think more about photography and less about gear and megapixels.

jdphoto

A very subjective question. My 6 MP Canon 10D was amazing, but DSLR makers soon realized the profit potential in planned obsolescence. This is why I primarily shoot film.

Frankly

I often go back and edit older files. Depending on the textures and lighting some older files hold up quite well. Mostly it requires that they were shot using the low, base ISO.

And certain combinations, like portraits with the Nikon D80 or D200 (CCD) with the 50/1.4D wide open, have a unique look that I like, especially at ISO 100.

But most of the time they suck compared to contemporary cameras. I regret all of the marginal shots I tried with the older gear. Even when it is a good picture I have to reject it in the end, the quality is just too poor.

Really everything before the Nikon D300-D700 era is pretty lame. I wish I had simply used 100% film instead of 50-50 because the mid-2000s digitals just don't hold up.

fotoism

Number of megapixel sensors and displays, along with highly developed digital lenses, IBIS....etc. etc. are goodies for us to drool on. Some of these actually can help make our photography better one way or the other, but lack of these goodies should not spell the death sentence for a photographer's artistic life. Feature chasing to me is more for wants and not needs.

Just for the fun of it, below is a picture from my first ever digital camera, very low megapixels. Enjoy. :D

redtulips.JPG