The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sugmug takes over flickr

V

Vivek

Will it affect flickr hosting people images negatively? Apparently sumgum requires consent from every person whose face is in a frame?:shocked:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Is Flickr really needed? I mean, a mamooth site where one can show off one's best photos where they will unfortunately be outnumbered a million times by mediocre and junk photos plus by someone who decided that he'd better post all the seven thousand images from last weeks school event, unfortunately with some of the same search words as yours...

The idea was good when it started, but there are so many ways to present photos online these days, and most of them work better than the wholesale Flickr approach. I doubt Snugbug has paid much.

Frankly

What value is there to Yahoo these days?

Tumblr is equally worthless which is a shame because at the core it was - is - could be - the easiest ever way to build a clean, large image-centric website. For a few years I entertained the notion of moving my own website over to Tumblr because with the right template you could display images nice and large with a minimalist design for free. Arguably better than the commercial options at that time. But now I cringe to even visit the Tumblr dashboard.

Seems like they ruined everything they touched.

V

Vivek

Oh my! i always read that as SugMug though Jorgen’s SnugBug also sounds good. :D

V

Vivek

Users have until May 25th to take down their photos and save it elsewhere if they do not want to be part of snug bug.

Elderly

……….. there are so many ways to present photos online these days, ……....
Can anybody recommend one please?

I don't want a gallery - I don't want cloud storage - I just want to 'share' a few images
on sites such as ………… this one :thumbup:.

Up until now I've uploaded any images that I want to share (using LeechFTP)
to my domain holding page with my ISP.

But without warning last week my ISP withdrew my access to my holding page :wtf:
and so I have no easy way of getting the URLs of the images that are still there :mad:.

Elderly

Can anybody recommend one please?

I don't want a gallery - I don't want cloud storage - I just want to 'share' a few images
on sites such as ………… this one :thumbup:.

Up until now I've uploaded any images that I want to share (using LeechFTP)
to my domain holding page with my ISP.

But without warning last week my ISP withdrew my access to my holding page :wtf:
and so I have no easy way of getting the URLs of the images that are still there :mad:.
BUMP …… Anybody?????

darr

BUMP …… Anybody?????
Register a web name and use a Wordpress site to store your photos for sharing. I have been doing this for over a decade. Every photo I have posted on forums comes directly from that site. It is economical and you have authority over how long you keep your images on the server and the forums. If you decide to leave a forum, delete the links to your photos and you leave no footprint behind. It is not hard to build a Wordpress site as there are many canned templates available from the hosting company. I can recommend Bluehost. If you feel you cannot do this, then your next option is to pay for a gallery type site such as SquareSpace, Zenfolio, PhotoShelter, etc.

Best of luck,
Darr

Last edited:

Elderly

Thanks Darr - I've had a quick look at Bluehost and they offer a web name included in the monthly cost,
so why should I register a web name first with somebody else (such as 123reg)?

By coincidence with your interest, today I came across the bill for my classical guitar from 1965 :thumbup:.

Doug - can you expand please? :confused:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Darr - I've had a quick look at Bluehost and they offer a web name included in the monthly cost,

By coincidence with your interest, today I came across the bill for my classical guitar from 1965 :thumbup:.

I have registered my domain name with a local company independent of hosting, simply to have full control. While Bluehost is a great hosting company, one never knows what they will do in the future. If the name is part of the monthly cost, will you have full ownership of the name? What happens if they go bancrupt?

Apart from that, Wordpress is a great option. There are zillions of readymade templates and you have full control over your content.

darr

I have a 1913 Martin classical that I play once a year. I play Ovations mostly. :)

Congratulations on domain name registration.

Shashin

Purchased my domain from my service provider Dreamhost and use Wordpress to power it. Like Darr, the images I post here are from my site.