The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Video shooting help...Please. Pretty please!

rayyan

I am -novice when it comes to video shooting with a MLC or DSLR.

I havre been reading the manuals, watching countless youtube videos.

But still can't get a simple concept. I have repeated many times that I am dumb; so please bear with me.

In video shooting, it is advised to set everything to manual. I get that.

What about Focussing? Say I am shooting with a 24-120mm on my D750 and walking and panning a scene as I walk around.

What about focussing? What setting/s should I use? Surely not be focussing manually all the time?

Help me understand this; or point me in the right direction for reading or viewing.

Thanks a lot folks. ( my iPhone just focuses where I point it :shocked: ).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Rayan,

Bad news is that most cameras have a poor AF system with regards to continuous video work. The
exception is Canon with DPAF ... no others come close. I would suggest you find the widest angle lens
you are comfortable with ... 16 preferable to 20 at the long end. Set it to F8 and use a hyperfocal setting
to insure that most everything has acceptable sharpness ... or you will end up manually focusing all the time.

Shutter at twice the frame rate and use ISO and or ND filter to get acceptable exposure.

Since most wides do not have image stabilization you can opt for a mirrorless with IBIS or a gimbal.

Alternatively pick up a DJI Mobile II for your phone ... great for walking and panning ... and the video is
not that bad. With FilmicPro you can control iso shutter and focus just like a big camera. Youtube has great
guides:

https://www.youtube.com/user/EpicTutorialsDotCom/videos

Regards,

Bob

rayyan

Hi Bob.

Exactly what I needed. Great great info.

Thank you so very much.

Best.

Rayan,

Bad news is that most cameras have a poor AF system with regards to continuous video work. The
exception is Canon with DPAF ... no others come close. I would suggest you find the widest angle lens
you are comfortable with ... 16 preferable to 20 at the long end. Set it to F8 and use a hyperfocal setting
to insure that most everything has acceptable sharpness ... or you will end up manually focusing all the time.

Shutter at twice the frame rate and use ISO and or ND filter to get acceptable exposure.

Since most wides do not have image stabilization you can opt for a mirrorless with IBIS or a gimbal.

Alternatively pick up a DJI Mobile II for your phone ... great for walking and panning ... and the video is
not that bad. With FilmicPro you can control iso shutter and focus just like a big camera. Youtube has great
guides:

https://www.youtube.com/user/EpicTutorialsDotCom/videos

Regards,

Bob