The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photokina 2018 news

V

Vivek

It is the Laowa offerings that tempted me to go to PK ‘18.

Unfortunately, still recovering from a physical issue and don’t want to risk aggravating it.

Knorp

Whatever its IQ it's a real stunner !
Worth owning just for the heck of it and bragging rights ... :toocool:

Godfrey

I believe the winner of the beauty contest can be declared:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/60678...f2-8-macro-1-1-lens-with-near-zero-distortion

It's a pity that it isn't AF of course, and that it doesn't come in any mirrorless mount, but if the weight isn't too bad, I might buy one anyway, at least if the image quality and bokeh holds water also at telephoto distances.

https://2.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E~TC4x3S590x0~articles/6067814085/IRIX_150mm_Macro_4.jpeg
Don't need it, but could easily want it. Don't need or want AF. A 1:1 capable 150mm f/2.8 macro lens could do some amazing stuff with my Leica CL. I'm not averse to fitting a Nikon mount adapter ... :)

G

Well, there really won't be a good selection of lenses for the new Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic cameras for two years, and by that time they will have introduced new camera bodies, so while I am glad that there are new competitors to Sony, I don't see making any FF purchases between now and then. In other words, the excitement of new offerings has worn off quickly as the reality sinks in. I was more impressed with the Fuji GFR50 and GFX100, along with Capture One support. There one finds the possibility of actually improving the technical quality of one's images.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Well, there really won't be a good selection of lenses for the new Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic cameras for two years, and by that time they will have introduced new camera bodies, so while I am glad that there are new competitors to Sony, I don't see making any FF purchases between now and then. In other words, the excitement of new offerings has worn off quickly as the reality sinks in. I was more impressed with the Fuji GFR50 and GFX100, along with Capture One support. There one finds the possibility of actually improving the technical quality of one's images.
I think Canon and Nikon are almost solely targeting those that are already invested into their system and Panasonic won’t be out for another 6 months. In either case we can expect 5-20 native lenses by the end of next year for either of those systems but of course the Fuji can be invested in today. The Fuji will likely be more refined than either the Canon or Nikon and I don’t think the Panasonic will operate like a first generation product given their 10 years of Mirrorless experience.

If nothing else its its an exciting and uncertain time to know what to invest in. I bet there’s a space for all but I don’t know who would get the shortest end of the stick. I suspect Panasonic would based on mindshare. CaNikon are established names and Sony is very aggressive in business. Fuji is trying to expand from niche status and has Sony as their target (judging from every internal PR performance metric being tied to how it compares to Sony) the way Sony had CaNikon during developmental years.