The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Photo Coffee Table Book

JoelM

Thought it might be fun to see what others find inspiring to look at. For me, I have a few of Art Wolfe's wildlife books and my fave is likely, "Gentle Giants" by Bruce Weber. It is a book on Newfoundlands (a dog breed).

Joel

JoelM

Newfies are great, almost got one but went with Sammie. When I visited Seaside, Oregon, I saw a statue of Lewis & Clark and their Newfie, Seaman at the end of the trail. You would love the book. Thanks for the recommendations.

Joel

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
This one is ‘Crackerjack’. This book is only 7 1/2 X 5 1/2 inches but beautiful quality pictures to make you weep. Why we are not all printing photogravures I don’t know!
Perhaps digital is easier!

I picked this up in a charity shop for a fiver.

Highly recommended. 5 star.

Attachments

darr

I run through photo books pretty regularly with the help of my local library’s very accommodating inter-library system. But my favorite photo book remains today as it has from the day I took ownership of it in 1987, Certain Places by William Cliff. For me, the images are a thing of beauty and even tho I continue to feed more images into my brain, this body of work remains the most influential.

Kind regards,
Darr

pegelli

This one is ‘Crackerjack’. This book is only 7 1/2 X 5 1/2 inches but beautiful quality pictures to make you weep.
I'll be on the lookout for that, one of my favourite photographers, among many great ones from that era.

And his wife is one of my most favourite painters, I have many books of her work.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Pieter,

Not just Stieglitz photos but a lot of the old greats and lots of unknowns too.

Camera Works was an early photographic journal published by Stieglitz early 20th C.

stngoldberg

I’ve collected too many coffee table books, but the one that I’m currently enjoying is “uncommon places” by Stephen Shore.
Stanley

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since Salgado's "Genesis" has already been mentioned:

Any of Nick Brandt's early books, the "On This Earth, A Shadow Falls, Across The Ravaged Land" trilogy. His work methods and ethics, his attitudes and obviously the quality of his work are admirable. I only have the last of the three, "Across The Ravaged Land", but seriously consider finding the two others (they are out of print) or buy "ON THIS EARTH, A SHADOW FALLS" which contains images from both.

https://www.nickbrandt.com/text_page.cfm?pid=2706

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
This is a lovely book, can still be found on the internet, tho' I bought this pre internet when you had to write and send letters, then when you had found who published it you had to write and send off a cheque. How distant those days now seem!

Early 20c scenes and portraits and happenings, mainly in Normandy and northern France but some from St. Tropez and Florence etc.

Nice quality.

And you will notice the front cover is an early example of ULIS, up ladder image stabilisation.

Attachments