The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Finally a satisfying Photokina

Frankly

Nice to get a lot of actual product announcements rather than minor upgrades like the past few years.

Obviously the economy is doing well, I certainly appreciate the strong stock market and employment numbers thanks to our current leadership.

Darin Marcus

Two major disappointments for me:
  • Nothing from Cosina Voigtlander in F mount. I expected something in the 90-125mm range with the classic exterior of the SLII S line.
  • Nothing on the CFexpress front. I expected announcements from Pro Grade or Delkin. It looks like it will take a good while until we get to use such cards with the Nikon Zs.

algrove

Many announcements seem premature to me as delivery is sometime in 2019. Seems this might be the new norm now based on annoucements where actual working items might be able to be seen and touched at Photokina Spring 2019.

At least Fuji says the GFX50R will be available in November 2018. Also the Zeiss ZX1 seems interesting.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice to get a lot of actual product announcements rather than minor upgrades like the past few years.

Obviously the economy is doing well, I certainly appreciate the strong stock market and employment numbers thanks to our current leadership.
Actually, camera shipments worldwide are down 8.5% (value) for the first 6 months this year compared to 2017. The Americas are down 5.9% and Europe down 9%. Only mirrorless goes up, by 24.1% in Europe and 21.3% in the Americas.

Knorp

Actually, camera shipments worldwide are down 8.5% (value) for the first 6 months this year compared to 2017. The Americas are down 5.9% and Europe down 9%. Only mirrorless goes up, by 24.1% in Europe and 21.3% in the Americas.
Mmm, that's no good then. Let's blame it on the leadership ... :rolleyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Actually, economy has little to do with camera sales. Most people spend increased income on beer and pink iPhones, stuff that shows one's position in society :shocked:
My neighbours couldn't care less about what camera I have, but invite him for a beer and put the latest iPhone on the table, and I'll be the talk of the town... for a few minutes. They have seen in the news that the iPhone has the greatest camera on earth, so it must be true then. And when he sees that I have one, he'll borrow money and buy one for himself, hoping to pay the loan back before the next model comes out, the iPhone X-3 Green, with 7 cameras and free transfer of all your images to the NSA and the Chinese.

People who have real money have old cameras, and have no idea that the Canon 20D has already been replaced by a new model.

Yes, it was a satisfying Photokina, particularly because Panasonic launched a lens (the 10-25 mm f/1.7) that will maintain the status of my two GX8 bodies as my cameras of choice for another few years.

Oh, and btw... I don't have an iPhone, and no beer at home. The neighbours are probably not impressed :wtf:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I have no smartphone at all, but I have just invested in a boatload of beer due to fear of the current leadership.

Just in case.