The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Deleted

• Thread starter Deleted member 7792
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7792

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That's interesting. I noticed that when I signed in and added items to the cart, B&H now add taxes for WA too. When I used my office address zip code in California, it didn't add tax.

Knowing California's love of collecting taxes, I suspect that's a glitch that'll be fixed or maybe somebody with tax knowledge can explain it here?

Leigh

That's interesting. I noticed that when I signed in and added items to the cart, B&H now add taxes for WA too. When I used my office address zip code in California, it didn't add tax.

Knowing California's love of collecting taxes, I suspect that's a glitch that'll be fixed or maybe somebody with tax knowledge can explain it here?
In order to collect sales tax for a state, an entity must have a sales tax license for that state.

I suspect that may be more involved with California than with some other states. It will certainly happen when B&H can complete the licensing process.

This is all a result of the recent Supreme Court decision allowing same.

- Leigh

I really don't mind – I don't object to paying state tax. The court decision might help keep some local businesses open.

Kirk

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I really don't mind – I don't object to paying state tax. The court decision might help keep some local businesses open.

Kirk
My thoughts too. For most items the tax really doesn’t make a huge difference, and if anything, I always try to buy local whenever possible.

I’m lucky in that I still have at least one decent camera dealer nearby in Portland (ProPhoto Supply) and live across the river from a tax free state (Oregon) - darn, I just negated my tax point! :facesmack:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The rules as they were, was actually a tax subsidy to large companies like B&H and Amazon, at the cost of smaller local shops. It's difficult to see how that is fair. As for paying tax; somebody actually have to pay for roads, schools and other public services, even in America.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
In all the states where I have lived, California, Massachusetts, New York, and Arizona, there is a requirement to pay "use tax" which basically means that if one is not charged state sales tax, then the local sales tax (VAT) rate applies. This is a tax observed more in the breach although some :) have paid it annualy. In reality, not much has changed, except that the vendor has been asked to collect, rather than the consumer at tax filing time.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It has been highly dependent upon the aggressiveness of the Attorney General for each state. Our state has an Attorney General who has gone balls out for sales taxes, starting with Amazon. There are still unresolved legal challenges. For example, items sold on Amazon by a third-party seller through Amazon (including “Fulfilled by Amazon”) currently have no state sales tax added. I’m sure that this is just an interim state of affairs until the Attorney General catches up with Amazon’s third-party sellers.

B&H will eventually comply in each state because the Supreme Court has already ruled against online retailers on this issue.

So buy that IQ4-150 in California while you still can (without paying state sales tax). :ROTFL:

Joe

P.S. My only tax knowledge comes from paying through the nose. :banghead:

You may need to learn how to pay through other orifices, actually, use tax was always owed if sales tax was not collected.
-bob

Tim

In Australia we are now being slugged GST on eBay items bought OS. In recent news I think Amazon USA will not ship to Australia now as they were required to register and collect AU tax.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...1/news-story/0842f955c18b0f84c3cee7046f63b894

The AU Amazon site is a poor cousin to the USA one with many items not available.
Its a miserable situation making it harder to acquire some photo items. So much for the internet. :thumbdown:

jdphoto

Kirk
This is a good point. I would often go to my local camera store just to try out camera gear with no intention of buying from them.