Site Sponsors

Thread: B&H Charging State Sales Tax

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

B&H Charging State Sales Tax

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Now B&H is charging NC sales tax (7.25% in my case). I put an item in my cart and was surprised that an amount for NC sales tax appeared. Bummer!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: B&H Charging State Sales Tax

Could be worse - 'sales tax' aka 'VAT' is 20% here in the UK.

Vivek

22 +% here.

Post Thanks / Like

Not in California
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's interesting. I noticed that when I signed in and added items to the cart, B&H now add taxes for WA too. When I used my office address zip code in California, it didn't add tax.

Knowing California's love of collecting taxes, I suspect that's a glitch that'll be fixed or maybe somebody with tax knowledge can explain it here?
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

The World is a book, and those that do not travel read only one page ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    That's interesting. I noticed that when I signed in and added items to the cart, B&H now add taxes for WA too. When I used my office address zip code in California, it didn't add tax.

Knowing California's love of collecting taxes, I suspect that's a glitch that'll be fixed or maybe somebody with tax knowledge can explain it here?
    In order to collect sales tax for a state, an entity must have a sales tax license for that state.

I suspect that may be more involved with California than with some other states. It will certainly happen when B&H can complete the licensing process.

This is all a result of the recent Supreme Court decision allowing same.

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Not in California
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post

It has been highly dependent upon the aggressiveness of the Attorney General for each state. Our state has an Attorney General who has gone balls out for sales taxes, starting with Amazon. There are still unresolved legal challenges. For example, items sold on Amazon by a third-party seller through Amazon (including “Fulfilled by Amazon”) currently have no state sales tax added. I’m sure that this is just an interim state of affairs until the Attorney General catches up with Amazon’s third-party sellers.

B&H will eventually comply in each state because the Supreme Court has already ruled against online retailers on this issue.

So buy that IQ4-150 in California while you still can (without paying state sales tax).

Joe

P.S. My only tax knowledge comes from paying through the nose.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't mind – I don't object to paying state tax. The court decision might help keep some local businesses open.

Kirk
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    I really don't mind – I don't object to paying state tax. The court decision might help keep some local businesses open.

Kirk
    My thoughts too. For most items the tax really doesn’t make a huge difference, and if anything, I always try to buy local whenever possible.

I’m lucky in that I still have at least one decent camera dealer nearby in Portland (ProPhoto Supply) and live across the river from a tax free state (Oregon) - darn, I just negated my tax point!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

The World is a book, and those that do not travel read only one page ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The rules as they were, was actually a tax subsidy to large companies like B&H and Amazon, at the cost of smaller local shops. It's difficult to see how that is fair. As for paying tax; somebody actually have to pay for roads, schools and other public services, even in America.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In all the states where I have lived, California, Massachusetts, New York, and Arizona, there is a requirement to pay "use tax" which basically means that if one is not charged state sales tax, then the local sales tax (VAT) rate applies. This is a tax observed more in the breach although some :-) have paid it annualy. In reality, not much has changed, except that the vendor has been asked to collect, rather than the consumer at tax filing time.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    It has been highly dependent upon the aggressiveness of the Attorney General for each state. Our state has an Attorney General who has gone balls out for sales taxes, starting with Amazon. There are still unresolved legal challenges. For example, items sold on Amazon by a third-party seller through Amazon (including “Fulfilled by Amazon”) currently have no state sales tax added. I’m sure that this is just an interim state of affairs until the Attorney General catches up with Amazon’s third-party sellers.

B&H will eventually comply in each state because the Supreme Court has already ruled against online retailers on this issue.

So buy that IQ4-150 in California while you still can (without paying state sales tax).

Joe

P.S. My only tax knowledge comes from paying through the nose.

You may need to learn how to pay through other orifices, actually, use tax was always owed if sales tax was not collected.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those who reside in California
    https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/use-tax.shtml
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

In Australia we are now being slugged GST on eBay items bought OS. In recent news I think Amazon USA will not ship to Australia now as they were required to register and collect AU tax.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...cee7046f63b894

The AU Amazon site is a poor cousin to the USA one with many items not available.
    Its a miserable situation making it harder to acquire some photo items. So much for the internet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post

Kirk
    This is a good point. I would often go to my local camera store just to try out camera gear with no intention of buying from them.