The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smart Photographers with Blogs

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
It seems more and more that photographers seek out blogs test sites etc that support their gear choices . No one wants to hear that X company has poor quality control, service or just makes crap gear . Especially after putting down their money on a new kit . The result is that many blogs are dismissed as having biased ,defective or in some cases “pure nonsense “ authors .

Of course much of this can be understood as the authors just having different shooting requirements . Is the author a landscape photographer , a street shooter or maybe a studio shooter using strobes . Big differences occur when we come from different perspectives.

Even a worse bias comes from relying on forum posts or even your own testing . Look in the mirror and admit (as I have ) you don t no S&it about how to test gear . This is not an indictment of ones abilities as a photographer as much as an inability to apply the most fundamental elements of a scientific method . Looking at small jpegs taken under random conditions ,processed using who knows what methods etc . Most discussions don t even know what to look for in an evaluation .

My point of view is that we are too easily put off by any blog that appears inconsistent with our predefined perspective . Personally I use the blogs of several really smart photographers . I don t “throw the baby out with the bath water “ when my perspective differs ..rather I try to understand WHY ?

Here are the BLOGS I use and consider excellent sources of INSIGHTS to equipment .

Diglloyd ...Yes all over the place with his comments but very consistent in his excellent testing protocol .

Ming ...Quite good at steping back from the technology and commenting on “Does this matter in Practical Usage “

Sean Reid ...Really excellent equipment tests and shares my bias toward Street Shooting .

Puts ...Leicagraphy ...plenty of bias but he knows his science ...always learn something even if I sometimes disagree with its relevance .

Jim Kasson...New to his blog but obviously he knows his stuff ...worth considering .

The consistency is that each of theses individuals are Scientists and Photographers ...they all have bias in their conclusions but you have decent if not outstanding test results . They understand the concept of sample variation and when something doesn t look right ..they search for an answer .

Have you found other Smart Photographers to add to my list ?

algrove

Your list seems very complete to me.

One important item to note is which manufacturer supports a blogger which IMHO overwelhemingly influences his opinions. Also some reviewers just do not mesh with certain brands and then find excuses why camera x or y is no good.

DougDolde

I'd never shell out for any of these especially Digiloyd whose prices are absurdly high for the drivel he spews

k-hawinkler

It seems more and more that photographers seek out blogs test sites etc that support their gear choices . No one wants to hear that X company has poor quality control, service or just makes crap gear . Especially after putting down their money on a new kit . The result is that many blogs are dismissed as having biased ,defective or in some cases “pure nonsense “ authors .

Of course much of this can be understood as the authors just having different shooting requirements . Is the author a landscape photographer , a street shooter or maybe a studio shooter using strobes . Big differences occur when we come from different perspectives.

Even a worse bias comes from relying on forum posts or even your own testing . Look in the mirror and admit (as I have ) you don t no S&it about how to test gear . This is not an indictment of ones abilities as a photographer as much as an inability to apply the most fundamental elements of a scientific method . Looking at small jpegs taken under random conditions ,processed using who knows what methods etc . Most discussions don t even know what to look for in an evaluation .

My point of view is that we are too easily put off by any blog that appears inconsistent with our predefined perspective . Personally I use the blogs of several really smart photographers . I don t “throw the baby out with the bath water “ when my perspective differs ..rather I try to understand WHY ?

Here are the BLOGS I use and consider excellent sources of INSIGHTS to equipment .

Diglloyd ...Yes all over the place with his comments but very consistent in his excellent testing protocol .

Ming ...Quite good at steping back from the technology and commenting on “Does this matter in Practical Usage “

Sean Reid ...Really excellent equipment tests and shares my bias toward Street Shooting .

Puts ...Leicagraphy ...plenty of bias but he knows his science ...always learn something even if I sometimes disagree with its relevance .

Jim Kasson...New to his blog but obviously he knows his stuff ...worth considering .

The consistency is that each of theses individuals are Scientists and Photographers ...they all have bias in their conclusions but you have decent if not outstanding test results . They understand the concept of sample variation and when something doesn t look right ..they search for an answer .

Have you found other Smart Photographers to add to my list ?
From your list I consider only Jim Kasson.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Most reviews have little value, but I do enjoy Ming's blog, partly since I tend to agree with him and partly because he's much more clever than me and has access to cameras that I would like to buy in a couple of decades, when they become cheaper :)

I also like to read Erwin Puts, not because I own any Leica gear, but because his general thoughts on photography are interesting.

But most interesting of all are blogs by photographers who do things I don't do, because I'm not skilled enough or don't have enough resources or simply don't have the need to do what they do. Still, there's a lot to learn from that. One of the photographers who are very open about his process is Brad Trent. Lots to learn there, particularly about portraiture, lighting and general studio setup:

https://damnuglyphotography.wordpress.com/

I don't care what equipment he uses. I have to extract whatever I can out of the equipment that I do own.

Last edited:

pegelli

From your list I consider only Jim Kasson.
+1, for the others mentioned I find their preferences and biases overwhelm their technical analysis. I still read some for their technical insights but there's a lot of their stories that in my mind is opinion rather than fact.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Most reviews have little value, but I do enjoy Ming's blog, partly since I tend to agree with him and partly because he's much more clever than me and has access to cameras that I would like to buy in a couple of decades, when they become cheaper :)

I also like to read Erwin Puts, not because I own any Leica gear, but because his general thoughts on photography are interesting.

But most interesting of all are blogs by photographers who do things I don't do, because I'm not skilled enough or don't have enough resources or simply don't have the need to do what they do. Still, there's a lot to learn from that. One of the photographers who are very open about his process is Brad Trent. Lots to learn there, particularly about portraiture, lighting and general studio setup:

https://damnuglyphotography.wordpress.com/

I don't care what equipment he uses. I have to extract whatever I can out of the equipment that I do own.
Thank you for the recommendation . My perspective ..which I hope was clear ...you don t have to agree with everything a reviewer says or even find all his reviews helpful ....to learn something . It seems that we (me included ) often start with the answer we like and then only follow blogs that reinforce our points of view .

As an example ...being a Leica Fan Boy ....I can follow the Leica User Forum ...to enjoy like minded photographers ....but I learn a lot more from Sean Reid .

The blogs I reference ,of course , are mostly aimed at those considering getting new gear and I would surely like to expand the topic to blogs we look to for inspiration or even technique (few identified ). I follow the Magnum website and selectively follow photographers on Instagram .

k-hawinkler

+1, for the others mentioned I find their preferences and biases overwhelm their technical analysis. I still read some for their technical insights but there's a lot of their stories that in my mind is opinion rather than fact.
Thanks Pieter, my sentiment exactly. :clap:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks Pieter, my sentiment exactly. :clap:
BUT...I am interested in hearing their opinions because they are based on facts . They dig in on issues such as focus shift, field curvature , distortion corrections . No they don t always get it right but its not for lack of solid analysis or effort .

Speaking of facts .....have you actually read any of Diglloyd s test reports or Sean Reid s or are you just reacting to blog posts ? If you haven t what do you base your opinion on ?

Plus I know each of the blogs shown are written by very very smart individuals with scientific backgrounds ..so I can look at the tests themselves and determine how the results might impact my technique .

Plus I know the reviewers bias and can factor that in :

Sean Reid - A street shooter in B&W mostly ...he looks at things like how much does the lens block the viewfinder ? If you shoot landscape not much of an issue because you will compose with the rear screen . How will the gear impact your ability to “range focus or pre focus “ ..do the lenses have distance scales etc. How much is performance affected by CA ? Important if you are shooting small fast lenses wide open . To what extent do distortion correction algorithms forced into post processing affect edge sharpness ? It bothers him but after I reviewed the tests and looked at my images ..conclusion is that its not a factor unless I was making a large print and in most cases not at all .

lloyd - Obviously a color landscape shooter . He is most interested in new capabilities to automate in camera focus stacking and to use AI based pixel shift to record files at very high pixel counts . Then downsizing massive captures to required sizes to minimize noise and aberrations .

Personally I find those two perspectives interesting . But really my questioned poised by this post was not “Do you agree with the Blogs I use “ but rather “Do you have other Blogs or references that you find helpful “.

How exactly did any one benefit from hearing you don t like my choices ? Make a contribution or find something else to do . :wtf:

pegelli

Here are the BLOGS I use and consider excellent sources of INSIGHTS to equipment.
Speaking of facts .....have you actually read any of Diglloyd s test reports or Sean Reid s or are you just reacting to blog posts ? If you haven t what do you base your opinion on ?
What's this thread about, blogs or test reports (behind a paywall)?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I'd add Roger Cicala's blog on lensrentals.com to your list. He's brand agnostic and very thorough.

I read the reviews done by Nasim Mansurov and Spencer Cox on the Photography Life website. They're more Nikon oriented than the others and not nearly as scientific as the ones you cited.

Joe
Thanks I forgot about the Lensrental website .....he is particularly good at explaining Build Quality and often shows tear downs of gear . His lens testing also shows the range of lens performance based on multiple copies of a lens ...so you aren’t arguing about a bad sample .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
What's this thread about, blogs or test reports (behind a paywall)?
Its about finding good blogs by smart guys that use good testing protocols for gear evaluation .

You never answered my question ..have you ever read anything behind the paywalls at Diglloyd or Sean Reid ? Your sure seem quite willing to criticize their work on what basis ?

I completely understand if you feel you would not benefit by having good tests to evaluate . Nothing tops a hands on test but you can only do so much and I find first impressions can be pretty far off . Your results may be different .

Responding that you find the whole idea of using blogs that focus on thorough testing to be a waste of time ......seems rude ...why not find a like minded thread and comment on those jpegs of the family home .

k-hawinkler

I'd add Roger Cicala's blog on lensrentals.com to your list. He's brand agnostic and very thorough.

I read the reviews done by Nasim Mansurov and Spencer Cox on the Photography Life website. They're more Nikon oriented than the others and not nearly as scientific as the ones you cited.

Joe
+1 for Roger Cicala. :thumbs:

pegelli

Its about finding good blogs by smart guys that use good testing protocols for gear evaluation .

You never answered my question ..have you ever read anything behind the paywalls at Diglloyd or Sean Reid ?
You asked for the blogs, I gave my opinion on the blogs. I never went behind the paywall, so I won't comment on their full reviews. I believe you if you say they are better than their blogs, but that doesn't make me any more interested in them.

There's enough good test data available without having to go behind a paywall, Jim Kasson for one, but I agree also Roger Cicala is worthwhile to follow.
For the rest I also get a lot from just following here on GetDPI, often photographers experiences posted here are the most valuable to me.

Responding that you find the whole idea of using blogs that focus on thorough testing to be a waste of time ......seems rude ...why not find a like minded thread and comment on those jpegs of the family home .
You know what seems rude to me: putting words in my mouth that I never used. Thanks but no thanks, I even said I read them and spend the time sorting through what's fact and what's opinion. It seems you have trouble dealing with differing opinions on blogs you like and your defense then becomes making childish comments about "jpegs of the family home". I'd say, enjoy your blogs, I won't say anything more about them if you promise to not misquote me anymore.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I *have* gone behind the paywalls of both Diglloyd and Sean Reid. I got nothing of use from the former. Well, his computer advice is interesting.

Sean Reid is the only person I have seen who has shown the differences in how similar lenses draw a particular scene - say Leica 50mm lenses of different aperture and vintage photographing a bar scene with a lot of glassware. This convinced me, at least, that there WAS a decision to make about lens character. His camera reviews are centered on a type of photography that is far from my interests. He performs the reviews well, but there is not much information about how *I* will like the results. I sign up for a year if there is something particularly interesting, but frequently lapse thereafter.

Matt

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I *have* gone behind the paywalls of both Diglloyd and Sean Reid. I got nothing of use from the former. Well, his computer advice is interesting.

Sean Reid is the only person I have seen who has shown the differences in how similar lenses draw a particular scene - say Leica 50mm lenses of different aperture and vintage photographing a bar scene with a lot of glassware. This convinced me, at least, that there WAS a decision to make about lens character. His camera reviews are centered on a type of photography that is far from my interests. He performs the reviews well, but there is not much information about how *I* will like the results. I sign up for a year if there is something particularly interesting, but frequently lapse thereafter.

Matt
Ok Matt ... fair enough you looked and didn t find anything worthwhile . Its Ok if we disagree ?

My question was have you found ANY blogs aimed at testing of gear that have been worthwhile ?

I certainly agree that each of the blogs I mentioned ALL have aspects that don t match my requirements ..Sean Reid for example is hung up (spends a lot of time ) on Computer based Distortion Correction ...I haven t seen much difference even at 200% in an iMac 5K . Lloyd bashes Leica just on general dislike and his conclusions are not infrequently biased . (keep in mind I am a Leica Fan Boy ) . But DL reporting on the S1R using AI aided pixel shift to create large files is quite informative as is the discussion of AI supported in camera focus stacking . Makes me wonder if I should continue upgrading my Leica S system or wait for the AI supported stuff to mature ?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
There is more to photography than test charts. A lot more. Which is why I don't find test charts all that engaging.
FYI ...the tests on DL have dozens of test subjects ,locations selected to show in an actual photograph the lens performance . If you were considering (for example) choosing between and Nikkor AF lens and the relevant Zeiss alternative .. you could see the comparison in very high resolution results . The testing is done at all available apertures with near and far subjects . You see not only resolution but also most other aspects of lens performance .

Three attributes he looks at closely are (1) field curvature and (2) focus shift and (3) distortion . Lens designers work hard to minimize any damage from 1,2,3 consistent with the constraints of size ,weight, cost and ability to make the lens consistently to its design tolerances .

Does it matter to your photography ..only you know .

Recently I acquired a Leica SL 50/1.4 . Lloyd has been unkind to his evaluation of this lens (understated ) . I couldn t believe it . First its a brand new design by Peter Karbe the lead Leica lens designer . Peter Karbe doesn t make bad lenses . Its a bomb..meaning its big and heavy plus it costs $5K for a 50mm lens . Made no sense to me ?:loco:

So I dug in (I am invested in the outcome ) Lloyd kept testing and I started testing. The lens has major field curvature that is partially corrected with a distortion correction preset . It also focus shifts a lot between wide open and the best aperture (F5.6) . Seems like a nightmare . After further testing he concluded it was really designed to optimize everything for portrait or fashion work so 5-15FT ,subject in middle of frame and shot between F1.4 and F2.8 . With that application he felt it was the very best portrait lens he has ever tested but quite questionable for a landscape photographer . A purpose driven design for a fashion or portrait photographer .

This was a big deal for me and I was lucky ...I wanted the lens for portraits and will use it as it was designed .

Does this sound anything like reviewing test charts ?

I would also say that the tests files you can get thru his website are just terrific and you can really see on an iMac 5K what he has found . He also does a terrific job on color matching his examples so that you are not looking at Green Yellow Nikon files and Blue Zeiss files .

This is a heck of a lot of effort ..if he finds an issue he digs in and does the work . Rather than concluding the equipment sucks and sending it back to B&H.

FYI its ok if you don t share my desire to learn from smart people about how gear performs . For most work its overkill and totally unnecessary . Its not OK to give me a lecture on how photography is about more than gear ! I spend 10X more effort on studying master photographers work and putting a fine eye to editing my own work ..than I do on gear .

Only a few people shared websites/blogs that they found useful to evaluate gear .. but more were just happy to find the negative in even looking at others opinions.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ok Matt ... fair enough you looked and didn t find anything worthwhile . Its Ok if we disagree ?

My question was have you found ANY blogs aimed at testing of gear that have been worthwhile ?

I certainly agree that each of the blogs I mentioned ALL have aspects that don t match my requirements ..Sean Reid for example is hung up (spends a lot of time ) on Computer based Distortion Correction ...I haven t seen much difference even at 200% in an iMac 5K . Lloyd bashes Leica just on general dislike and his conclusions are not infrequently biased . (keep in mind I am a Leica Fan Boy ) . But DL reporting on the S1R using AI aided pixel shift to create large files is quite informative as is the discussion of AI supported in camera focus stacking . Makes me wonder if I should continue upgrading my Leica S system or wait for the AI supported stuff to mature ?
Perfectly ok to disagree!

In fairness to DL, it is several years since I looked there. Once I discovered some of the more exotic and controversial corners of his site, I lost faith in the rest. That may be unfair of me.

I don't know where Leica will go, but I can't see letting go of the S lenses for the same reason people kept their R glass. It's so damn good. And the SL zooms.... :cool:

As for other blogs, not really. I'm completely a "do I like handling this equipment" shopper. This is the one thing you can't get from a review. My experience has been that if I don't like holding the camera, I'll never like it. Two systems I bought into against my gut feeling were the Sony A7 and the Leica M. I love the output of the M. I hate using it. (I'll reserve comment on the Sony). I KNOW that the Fujis are better cameras than the S or X1D. I just don't like handling them. I would LOVE to like the Fujis and build a fantastic system for way less money than Leica or Hassy. The 100MP, to my surprise, felt better in the hand than either 50MP model - but it's not enough. At that weight, I'll take the S at 37.5MP every time.

The S1R is damned impressive. I'll wait for the SL2.

Matt