The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Inside Canyon de Chelly

Don Libby

Wanted to share a couple images that either Ken or myself took while we were inside Canyon de Chelly these past couple days.

All the images are of my Jeep when it was clean; now you can hardly tell what color it is.

Our guide, Timothy Halwood is the owner of Twin Trail Scenic Tours. Tim doesn't have a website as yet however Ken and I are attempting to help him out; in the mean time he can be reached at (928)349-5560 and email (yes we know it's long and we told him as much) [email protected].

Tim has a great sense of humor and know how to work with photographers (he had to since he put up with Ken and myself)

Just be fore a attempted to run Ken over...

Don

kdphotography

I think Don photoshopped out his sh*t-eating grin on the second and fourth photos....thankfully I was wearing gore-tex....

:p

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don,

It amazes how much we have in common... But your gear always seems a little bit newer and a little bit bigger -- even when it comes to our sidekicks! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Anyway, here is my Jeep. I built it up, installed axels from a wrecked Rubi, air-lockers and all, lifted, modified suspension, modified the transfer case for 4:1 low range and to allow 2WD Low, and modified the Rubi air locks so I can turn them on independently and keep them on regardless of speed, added sturdier bumpers, rock guards and a roll cage since mine's a soft-top:

Terry

Don,

It amazes how much we have in common... But your gear always seems a little bit newer and a little bit bigger -- even when it comes to our sidekicks! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Anyway, here is my Jeep. I built it up, installed axels from a wrecked Rubi, air-lockers and all, lifted, modified suspension, modified the transfer case for 4:1 low range and to allow 2WD Low, and modified the Rubi air locks so I can turn them on independently and keep them on regardless of speed, added sturdier bumpers, rock guards and a roll cage since mine's a soft-top:
I guess it's not meant for cruising the 101 :grin:

Lars

Anyway, here is my Jeep.
Too clean ;) What, no snorkel? Aussie carwashes below (Gibb River Road, WA).

(At another crossing I actually had waves across the hood of the Troopy and up the windshield. Made me a bit nervous, to put it mildly.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What, no snorkel?
Actually Lars, I've considered a snorkel! In fact, they make kits for the Jeep and I've I've already routed all the breather hoses up under the hood and have them ready to thread into the snorkel's air-box if/when I do it. The bigger issue with a snorkel is it lowers gas mileage, and when gas went up, I shelved the project. However in heavy dust or deep water crossings, a snorkel is the only viable solution.

:thumbs:

frontosa

Workshop Member
Hi Don:

Were you in Moab this weekend with all the other Jeep afficionados? This was the 3rd time I made the mistake to visiting Moab during Easter. Mistake because Arches and Canyonlands tend to be crowded. The town is full of Jeeps. Motel rooms are hard to come by. I learned this is an annual get together. Due to the poor economy, only about 1000 Jeeps were expected. :)

It sure is good for Moab's economy. Leaving Moab early thursday morning, I was behind a caravan of 28+ or so Jeeps on their way to the south entrance of Canyonlands.

Gerry

Don Libby

Jack,

You're right we do have more in common; I remember a previous conversation on another type of shooting...

Don't know how new or bigger my sidekick is vs yours but I'd think at least six States would made it against the law for the four of us to be all in one place! :ROTFL:

Sweet looking jeep! I couldn't help but think of several modifications I wanted to do as we were making the water crossings (some were over a foot deep) we had water splash up and over the windshield several times. We attempted to get to Spider Rock but the crossing was too bad; 45 degree angle, fast flowing water, very soft sand...went in with 4-wheel low and lockers but just couldn't get a footing.

We're stopping by here in August on our way home from Monument Valley when it'll be dryer.

Oh and to answer Chris's question - yes Sandy has seen the photos; she hasn't seen the videos yet.

Lars,

Looking good my friend! I've always thought 4x4's look much better a little dirty.:salute:

The jeep is clean now having gone through a quarter car wash and sitting in the driveway during the rain today.

Don

Don Libby

Hi Don:

Were you in Moab this weekend with all the other Jeep afficionados? This was the 3rd time I made the mistake to visiting Moab during Easter. Mistake because Arches and Canyonlands tend to be crowded. The town is full of Jeeps. Motel rooms are hard to come by. I learned this is an annual get together. Due to the poor economy, only about 1000 Jeeps were expected. :)

It sure is good for Moab's economy. Leaving Moab early thursday morning, I was behind a caravan of 28+ or so Jeeps on their way to the south entrance of Canyonlands.

Gerry
Gerry

No I didn't make it into Moab this trip. The Moab Easter Jeep thing is an annual thing that brings too many people there for any serious landscape work to be done; closest I got was Chinle AZ.

Don

Don Libby

Just wanted to add a couple images from Canyon de Chelly trip

Sunset shot at Spider Rock overlook

No Ken didn't trip and I didn't push him!

I overslept waiting for the sunrise:sleep006:

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
but I'd think at least six States would made it against the law for the four of us to be all in one place! :ROTFL:
Well for sure we'd have a tough time getting our meals or drinks finished before being asked to leave :D

PS: My sidekick is smarter than yours though :ROTFL:

stephengilbert

So Don is above the maximum height for the three section Gitzos, while Ken is not. We get to carry and use the smaller and lighter gear, so I guess there's an upside to being of "normal stature."

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So Don is above the maximum height for the three section Gitzos, while Ken is not. We get to carry and use the smaller and lighter gear, so I guess there's an upside to being of "normal stature."
The NORMAL people can handle the wind better. We just hide under the tall trees:thumbs: