The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Camera To Bring On A Trip?

Godfrey

With the quality I can get with all my current camera equipment, and the iPhone 8 Plus, and the fact that I have too much to choose from, deciding what to bring on my cruise is the last and hardest decision when it comes to packing for the trip. Ah, First World Problems! :rolleyes:

It's a non-photo-centric trip. I like the setup I went with last year on my jaunt to NY and Cape Cod: an iPhone and a Polaroid. This setup expands on that idea with a Travel Tripod and some accessories for the Polaroid.

Still thinking about it ... the question is always "what will I actually use?" Probably a bit less than the total in the photo. I'll maybe leave the accessory lenses for the Polaroid at home, but take the tripod...

Fun fun fun! As always.

G

Tim

When taking holiday trips where I am "not taking photos" I take my GR III (used to be the GR) and a phone camera as a backup. Occasionally I have wanted more but the last few trips I have not wanted anything else.
I think you have too many bits and pieces there for a holiday without photography, for me those accessories are a burden.

If you still have that Light L16, I'd take that and the phone and just maybe add a smaller tabletop tripod. That one you have there is too big. :LOL:

I can see the SX70 is kitsch to use.
How about the Polaroid and the L16 and a small bean bag as a tripod replacement?

Tim

Perhaps the question to ask on a non-photographic trip is: why am I taking photographs, and what are they for?
That is an excellent question.

Such trips for me mean only wanting one camera one lens, but I find even in this situation the camera phone limiting so cameras like the X100 or a Leica CL with one lens or something like the Light L16 to be ideal. Some might take a Sony RX100. The absolute main criteria is travel very light, the camera must not be a physical burden.

Godfrey

Perhaps the question to ask on a non-photographic trip is: why am I taking photographs, and what are they for?
For me, it is because I like keepsakes of the trip, like to remember what and who and where. Photos bring it to me, and my friends enjoy seeing what and where as well. They don't have to be photos of the same type and quality as my photographic artwork... :)

That is an excellent question.

Such trips for me mean only wanting one camera one lens, but I find even in this situation the camera phone limiting so cameras like the X100 or a Leica CL with one lens or something like the Light L16 to be ideal. Some might take a Sony RX100. The absolute main criteria is travel very light, the camera must not be a physical burden.
I did this same trip with the Light L16 and the iPhone 8 last year. It made a lot of excellent photos but I found it difficult to work with in many ways because it is not a particularly quick or responsive camera to work with, particularly when shooting people ... The iPhone did better, which surprised me.

One of the entertaining parts of this cruise is that people decorate their cabin doors with photos of themselves and friends they're along with on the cruise. A Polaroid lets me put up a couple of photos at the beginning and add to it as the trip goes on ... AND people like to be photographed with a Polaroid! AND you can make two photos and give one to the person you're photographing, right on the spot.

Anyway, all the decisions have been made for this trip. I kept basically the kit seen above but took out the accessory lenses for the Polaroid .. I know I'll not use them, not worth carrying. I kept the yellow filter for it and added an additional pack of film so forty exposures, five per day, is the instant film limit. I kept the tripod—I'll see just how useful it is—and the better mount for the iPhone (the Travel Tripod has one built in, but it's really 'only in a pinch' useful compared to the RRS mount). And the iPhone has everything I need to do quickie captures of the Polaroids as well as image processing for anything I make with it. It all fits in my shoulder bag easily and isn't heavy, other than the tripod which is comfortable enough to just carry in its case with a shoulder strap.

Just waiting for the ride to the airport now... Woo Hoo!
I'll evaluate how successful this kit was afterwards. :D

G

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
You've already made up your mind, but here's what I mostly bring for non-photographic trips these days:

One camera, one lens, mostly a 50 or an 85mm. The camera at the moment is a Nikon F80 with the battery grip. A selection of film depending on the mood. If I need wider angles, there's always the phone. If i need something longer, I sit down, have a beer and look for another motive.

Robert Campbell

For me, it is because I like keepsakes of the trip, like to remember what and who and where. Photos bring it to me, and my friends enjoy seeing what and where as well. They don't have to be photos of the same type and quality as my photographic artwork... :)
I was going to answer my own question with the word "mementos" but you got there before me. "Souvenirs" might also apply.

Such pix are for fun, for enjoyment, and as you note, for sharing.

And, less is more when it comes to equipment.

scho

Last year we did a Caribbean cruise and I took the Sony RX1RM2 and my iPhone X. The majority of the images were taken with the iPhone. This year we will do another cruise and an additional land based trip to Mexico. iPhone will again come along, but additional camera this time will be the Sony RX100M6. This little camera is very small and easy to carry in a pocket so I anticipate taking more pics with the camera.

Godfrey

Status report, during the cruise ...

Limited time and bandwidth so I'm not posting much in way of photos, but so far from what I'm seeing on the iPad Pro after transferring files from the iPhone, the kit is working very well indeed. Stabilizing the iPhone with a tripod for critical sharpness works beautifully, the Moment lenses work great when needed, and the few photos I've made with the Polaroid prove an aesthetic add to what the iPhone makes.

What doesn't really work out is using the Polaroid for casual people pictures. Not because the camera doesn't do it well, but the kind of situations where this is approachable haven't really happened much if at all. The iPhone has been better at that, mostly due to its size and handiness.

More when time permits. I'm off to get a snack and then to the pool.. :D

G