The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Afghan Girl" and ethics

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Since I travel to regions where people photography can be controversial, the ethical side of travel photography is something that I care about. Steve McCurry's iconic, and later controversial, photo of an Afghan girl at a refugee camp tells some important lessons.

I wasn't aware that Tony Northrup had made a story about it, maybe because I'm clearly not one of his fans (I may have to revise my opinion about him now though). However, what he brings forward is clearly important, as is the article in thewire.in. If you decide to read this, please also read Tony Northrup's comments under the video at his Youtube channel. He presents corrections and additional information in the text.

Please be aware also that The Wire is generally very critical to Steve McCurry's work. Others may have different opinions.

https://thewire.in/media/afghan-girl-steve-mccurry-national-geographic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuFKpaV_jjo

The conclusion for me, if there is such a thing, is that there are still photos that I should not take. Sometimes that's unfortunate, but the personal integrity of people I see and meet mostly has more value than my photos.

rayyan

I agree with you Jorgen re: that there are photos I don’t take. It is based on respect and values I hold dear.
These values are important for us. Ayesha is now in Ethiopia n then to Zambia, Zimbabwe , Kenya and a few other places....but there are photos she wouldn’t take either.

As to the UT folk you mention....I don’t watch or hear them.

Kindest regards.