The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hp5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's an interesting comparison between HP5 and Tri-X. I was actually suprised how big the difference is. I haven't shot Tri-X for a few years at least, but should probably carry both, one for each mood :)

iiiNelson

I'm probably am in the minority of people that absolutely don't care for Tri-X. I greatly. respect it as an emulsion and can understand that many iconic photographs were captured using said film. I absolutely prefer HP5, Acros, or T-Max in every way imaginable. Different look no doubt but it's my preference.

Elderly

There were often times when I had to re-load my two black & white and two colour equipped 35mm bodies (which were all encased in sound blimps, which I still have :loco:) in a great hurry, and usually in a dark unlit part of a film or TV studio.

Black & white I used Tri-X for my 400 asa, and FP4 for my 125 asa ; colour was Fuji and 3M.

Did I have a preference for what I used? - No.
It was more important that I had hastily grabbed the correct film from my bag - and so .....

..... Tri-X was in yellow boxes, FP4 in white boxes, Fuji in Green boxes and the 1600 asa 3M tungsten reversal (I don't remember what it was called) was in black boxes - and my blimps were similarly colour coded to avoid any confusion :).