The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An incredible pano - from 1906!

R

Ranger 9

There was nothing shabby about the photographic technology of 1906. Lenses and films may have been more limited than today's in their capabilities, but used within their limits they produced impressive results. (And back then, such things as 10-inch-wide panoramic film were readily available; hard to find today.)

In the face of photo marketing's constant emphasis on "the latest technology," it's often interesting to remember that the fundamental principles of optical design were fully understood in the 19th century, and the fundamental principles behind digital imaging were completely worked out by the late 1940s. Most of today's improvements are simply those of manufacturing technology catching up to theory; we're all standing on the shoulders of giants.

Don Libby

Very impressive.

My not so secret hope is that someone will discover one of my panos long after I'm gone...

Don

O

Oxide Blu

... the fundamental principles behind digital imaging were completely worked out by the late 1940s.

Then why is so dang hard for me to get it right? :D

I've been going through this Netflix film noir thing -- watched a couple movies made in SF in the 40's and 50's. Cool.