The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rant of the Day. Quark

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Why does Quarkexpress suck so bad and they charge 900 for the program. I can't generate a PDF file from it to save it's infringement life. I can't generate the drop shadows actually half of them don't show up. I see the guide lines. What a piece of crap this software is. The bad part is I use it for a program book and all my old files are all Quark. I need to get InDesign that actually works with other Adobe products. I have Acrobat Pro and either it or preview shows the same crap. It's all coming from Quark. Okay this is not a one time event this is 4 years of this crap version 7.5 and i will be damned to spend 300 to upgrade it to 8.0 and my output printers hate the program and installed it just for me and these files. Okay Friday rant, need a espresso. So I can whine about this more. But why people still buy this program or why they even exist anymore is beyond me.

Guy Mancuso

Drop shadows are missing on every word that is magenta . Not sure you can see the guide lines but look at the shift in the boxes and stuff. I have to make excuses for this all the time to my clients. Well it is actually much better than you are seeing and the drop shadows are not showing up. Oh and the color is much better. You get the idea, they must think I am a complete moron for using this trash.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
As a long time user of Quark, I understand. Until recently, I always bought the update since many clients send me junk that was created in it. But I have totally made the switch to InDesign. It's just plain better, faster, and more reliable. Recently I bought a plug-in from Markzware that allows you to convert Quark files into InDesign files. I've told my clients that I will no longer be updating Quark and every new job will be done with InDesign. If they insist on Quark, it will cost them more money. I felt I had to draw the line since Quark is so unstable and unreliable.

Switch to InDesign. Take a couple of quick tours through the DVD that came with the suite and just make the switch. You'll be glad you did.

p.s. PDFs are very easy in the Adobe software (surprise!). But regardless which one you choose, there are a few little tricks that can make things go smoother. Let me know if I can help.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Tim obviously you know this one well and i agree just need to bite the bullet and switch. I just don't understand how they can sell this now with InDesign in the market. I will have to remember that software to convert the files over

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use InDesign as well for only a few projects a year so I am not very proficient with it but one thing I can say is that it is not difficult at all to figure out how to do stuff and, most importantly, it works!

Guy Mancuso

I actually have the client buying this for me which helps keep 700 dollars in my pocket. Trying to figure a way to save money on the purchase though. I have CS4 Photoshop and Acrobat 9 Pro on my machine now but does not help me with a upgrade path at least I can't figure it out