The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fee for providing lost images?

haring

Hey Guys! I am a wedding photographer. A client contacted me recently who apparently lost her wedding photos. I shot her wedding 9 years ago.
She asked me to find out whether I still have their images. It would take me a half a day to go through all the archives.
My question: Do you charge a fee for providing images 5 years after you shot a client's wedding, portrait session, etc?
If yes, how much and how do you explain the clients that a fee is involved...?

Thanks a bunch!
Otto, Miami

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hey Guys! I am a wedding photographer. A client contacted me recently who apparently lost her wedding photos. I shot her wedding 9 years ago.
She asked me to find out whether I still have their images. It would take me a half a day to go through all the archives.
My question: Do you charge a fee for providing images 5 years after you shot a client's wedding, portrait session, etc?
If yes, how much and how do you explain the clients that a fee is involved...?

Thanks a bunch!
Otto, Miami
I don't with regular clients, and never with private persons. With commercial clients I do sometimes, but not much. My archives are sorted in folders by year, date (yymmdd so that they come in the correct sequence) and exist with multiple backups on several physical locations. One copy, currently on 2 x 4TB disks, is always in my bag. Finding any photo that I've taken the last 15 years rarely takes more than 2 minutes wherever I am, as long as the date is known.

I have the same policy with design clients, particularly company logos. Sometimes I even check if they use their logo correctly a few years after it was designed, and if they don't I send them a new original file. That sometimes leads to new assignments, which is one of the reasons why I do it.

jdphoto

I wouldn't charge a fee. It's a nice courtesy and the client will appreciate it. I offer an online user gallery and a thumb drive for convenience and back up. I'll archive images for specific duration, but the wedding client will be responsible for images after that.

haring

I wouldn't charge a fee. It's a nice courtesy and the client will appreciate it. I offer an online user gallery and a thumb drive for convenience and back up. I'll archive images for specific duration, but the wedding client will be responsible for images after that.
Thanks!

paulgrundy

As a commercial photographer I would not charge a client for resupplying files. I could find any job shot in the last 15 years in a few minutes.

I aim to charge enough for the original photography that all the inevitable little hassles feel covered and the odd favour for a client is a good way of helping to cement your relationship with them. Important in my speciality, architecture, as there is typically a lot of replete business.

If their request involved a half days administrative work I would probably ask one of the freelance assistants I work with to quote and charge them directly.

Other photographers I’m sure will have different approaches.

Paul Grundy

www.paulgrundy.com

haring

As a commercial photographer I would not charge a client for resupplying files. I could find any job shot in the last 15 years in a few minutes.

I aim to charge enough for the original photography that all the inevitable little hassles feel covered and the odd favour for a client is a good way of helping to cement your relationship with them. Important in my speciality, architecture, as there is typically a lot of replete business.

If their request involved a half days administrative work I would probably ask one of the freelance assistants I work with to quote and charge them directly.

Other photographers I’m sure will have different approaches.

Paul Grundy

www.paulgrundy.com
It totally makes sense! Thanks so much!!!!