The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdphoto

As the complex web of supply chain logistics and licensing agreements make it difficult to ascertain whether a camera or its components are made in China. Buying these products might have a lot more consequence than cheaper prices. A recent Washington Times article recently stated that "the advisory from the State, Treasury, Commerce, and Homeland Security departments concerning supply chain risks related to products made employing forced labor by ethnic Uighurs and others imprisoned in China’s western Xinjiang province." It continued with,"The Chinese government is carrying out a campaign of mass repression in Xinjiang, targeting Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs, ethnic Kyrgyz and members of other Muslim minority groups under the questionable rubric of counterterrorism, according to a State Department report on the issue." As also reported, a container ship from China contained 13 tons of human hair that is suspected of being from Uighur concentration camps. Today's social media blames and shames just about anything, so where's the outrage? Is it that it doesn't fit a particular agenda? Is it hypocrisy? Or simply, prices are too good to give a crap?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
1. People are generally much more interested in how they can find money for the latest gadget than which slave produced it. Most "outrages" on social media are started by people in power for political or financial reasons.

2. While the list of Chinese human rights abuses (and other unacceptable practices) is long, it isn't in any way sensational considering the size and population of the country. There's a reason why production mostly isn't outsourced to democratic countries with a free population. I could easilly make a list of several dozen countries that are used for outsourcing of industrial production that would fit in the same category as China when it comes to human and/or labour rights, oppression of people due to race, religion or sex, child labour etc. But I won't. I travel in some of those countries, and I too need to make a living.

3. China has become so central in the global supply chain that normal consumers have no way of avoiding products sourced entirely or partly from China unless they belong to the Amish people or a similar group. I have deep respect for the Amish btw., although I don't share their religious views.

4. China has achieved its current position through actions of western/international corporations. Those corporations source their products in China because it makes it possible to increase profits and thereby the bank accounts of the shareholders. It's called greed, and greed doesn't give a **** about how people lower down are treated.

5. Corporations often hide the real source of products, and it's very hard for consumers to figure out where the components of a products are sources from. Sometimes it can also vary between production batches.

China has been an authoritarian regime for more than 2,000 years. That is not going to change anytime soon, and China is not going away. Even when buying things like cameras that are produced in other countries than China, like Japan, Thailand, Vietnam etc., one can be rather sure that there are components "Made in China" hidden in there somewhere, or from some other sources that one doesn't want to buy stuff from. This is a part of Globalism, and the only way to stop this is to stop Globalism... or buy a Leica.

Nothing would make me happier than if we could stop Globalism in its current form, except maybe buying a Leica :ROTFL:

alajuela

As the complex web of supply chain logistics and licensing agreements make it difficult to ascertain whether a camera or its components are made in China. Buying these products might have a lot more consequence than cheaper prices. A recent Washington Times article recently stated that "the advisory from the State, Treasury, Commerce, and Homeland Security departments concerning supply chain risks related to products made employing forced labor by ethnic Uighurs and others imprisoned in China’s western Xinjiang province." It continued with,"The Chinese government is carrying out a campaign of mass repression in Xinjiang, targeting Uighurs, ethnic Kazakhs, ethnic Kyrgyz and members of other Muslim minority groups under the questionable rubric of counterterrorism, according to a State Department report on the issue." As also reported, a container ship from China contained 13 tons of human hair that is suspected of being from Uighur concentration camps. Today's social media blames and shames just about anything, so where's the outrage? Is it that it doesn't fit a particular agenda? Is it hypocrisy? Or simply, prices are too good to give a crap?
First I would believe these departments "(the advisory from the State, Treasury, Commerce, and Homeland Security departments )as far I can throw them. I am not denying the China is repressive - not any more so than Viet Nam , Saudi Arabia, and many more that US does (and its companies) business with. BTW it is a well know fact, at least I thought well know, that Asian women sell there hair, but doesn't this also beg the question who was buying it?
These previously noted departments, are now corrupted, as demonstrated in any clip from Portland, don't know about anyone else but snatching people off the streets like this reminds of Guatemala in the 70s, or Argentina, more than China.
Regardless, highly doubt any photographic equipment is compromised and I expect we will hear more demonization of China, and other countries as the election gets closer and Trump and Company become more desperate.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Please continue this thread on the political forum of your choice.
thanks
-bob

Status
Not open for further replies.