The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pixii ... interesting new digital camera

Godfrey

I've been following the conversation on a couple of forums about the Pixii rangefinder camera. Seems they're getting close to shipping a first final product now. It's an interesting and odd enough new camera that I don't know exactly what forum it belongs in... If you feel this thread is better sited elsewhere, Moderators, please feel free to move it.

Pixii website: https://pixii.fr/

It's an unusual concept. A very basic interchangeable lens RF camera with modest resolution (12 Mpixel) and a Leica M lens mount that is designed from the start to work together with your smartphone for display and image management. No on-board LCD; limited on board storage; all images stream to the smart phone for display and viewing. Alternate, customized DNG profiles uploadable to the camera. And it's fairly expensive.

Hamish Gill wrote a nice little piece on it recently: About the Pixii camera based on a beta hardware version.

It's an interesting concept, an interesting camera. The price is, of course, pretty high if you do the spec sheet comparison to other APS-C interchangeable lens cameras that is so common nowadays. But I think there is some merit to the effort and could be convinced that the merits can outweigh the price hurdle.

What do you think?

G