Site Sponsors

Thread: Is BestBuy the next.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is BestBuy the next.....

....Circuit City or Comp USA? I've been having trouble with my printer which is bluetooth so I went to get a cable. Best Buy sells one (and only one) in the store. It is $33.95. Yes, I walked out.

OWC - $7.95
    at my NY apt this weekend - Free

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Is BestBuy the next.....

Terry, when you are in SF you need to find the closest Fry's Electronics Store

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Terry, when you are in SF you need to find the closest Fry's Electronics Store

How about I just pack a suitcase full of useful stuff from NY that is just gathering dust. I have a whole drawer full of cables and other goodies.

There actually was a Fry's near my old apartment in SF but according to their store locator there are no longer any stores in SF proper... my closest choices are Condcord and Palo Alto.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That's how they make their money... On accessories. They have to make the money from "giving" the free printers somehow. I worked at Best Buy when I was in college and sure enough I could buy the $40-50 USB and Ethernet cables for $1-3 depending on length. The markup on some items is just ridiculous.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would accept that if they were price leaders on their main products but sadly they really aren't. There are a few specials at good prices each week and for all else they are priced quite high.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stores? What are stores? NewEgg or ZipZoomFly and really weird interface cables Black Box.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

I went with an Amazon Prime membership ....which provides FREE 2nd day UPS shipping for most items. This makes one at a time small purchases cheap and easy.

Similar solution thru B&H is thru NAPP which then translates to free shipping.

With these two...all the small one off purchases are faster and cheaper(and you know its in stock).

Amazon will overnight most things for $3.95.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In SF we don't have a Fry's, but Central Computers on Howard St. has all the nitty gritty at reasonable prices. (http://centralcomputers.com)
    The other day I was hunting for a dual link DVI to HDMI cable and made the mistake of checking Best Buy. $50 for a single link cable!!! They didn't have a DVI-DL one, can only image what they'd ask for that! Ended up ordering one on Amazon, for $5 IIRC. (Central didn't have a DVI-DL either.)

I like monoprice.com for cables. (But alas, they didn't have a DVI-DL to HDMI either.) http://monoprice.com

I can see paying extra to support a local store, but $50 vs $3.50 for the exact same cable made in China?! C'mon...

Oxide Blu

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post

In SF we don't have a Fry's, but Central Computers on Howard St. has all the nitty gritty at reasonable prices. (http://centralcomputers.com)

My experience with Central Computers on Howard St has been very positive. Very easy to work with, easy to exchange stuff, whatever, just easy going folks.