The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you happy with your current system.

jonoslack

In fact, that's what mostly keeps me off the endless quest for "better" equipment. Although I'm not really happy with most of what I use, I know that whatever I might try as a replacement wouldn't necessarily make me happier. Come to think of it, most of my life is like that...
:clap::clap:
Reminds me of Jim:

And always keep a-hold of Nurse
For fear of finding something worse

Hilaire Belloc in case . . .

Jim - by Hilaire Belloc

iiiNelson

Yes I can say that I'm very happy with my cameras. I've simplified down to two cameras.

Panasonic G1 - (two lens kit + CV28/2 and CV50/1.5) I will probably add the Lumix 7-14 to expand my range from UWA-->Telephoto. I like the smaller size and I actually tend to have a camera on me all the time unlike when I only had my Canon stuff.

Leica D-Lux 4 - IMO it's one of the best P&S around and the only real limiting factors for most to consider is the sensor size and the focal length range. That said it's capable of producing great shots.

*If I add a dSLR it would probably be a Sony a900 or the replacement at this point. I'm keeping an eye out for the Olympus Micro 4/3 stuff though still and I would consider the E620 for another body as well.

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Well, I am NOT satisfied with the performance of the systems I have (though in each case I would argue they are all near the top end)

Walk around is M8 and more glass than is logical (maybe 50 incl Visoflex). But come on! 400 ISO barely usable? so, flash can work, but this systems need more EV!

Wildlife, tele. is R9/DMR. Again needs more ISO, but esp needs more MP. The glass can handle and the modular 280-800mm system just sits waiting for a better sensor, and I have about 30 lenses

Travel, and lanscape/cityscape Contax 645 (also Hassey glass), Alpa (schneider) and now P65+. Contax could have better AF, no doubt. So I work around (you will see me point on the ground 5 yards in front of a sport shot because I learned that where the Contax just insists on focusing) (maybe 25 lenses)

So with more glass than a NY skyscraper I now consider myself a COLLECTOR! :LOL:

Regards
Victor

Terry

I can survive for quite a while without having to dig into the piggy bank. Is it a perfect setup? Of course I will always lust after something (can you say 24 lux).

Major systems:
D700 (but have kept only a small lens assortment) 24-70, cv40, 50, cv58, 70-300
M8 (most focal lengths covered)
G1 (two lens kit)
Small sensor (too many to list)

I hate big cameras so the D700 will not be replaced and it will last me for a looong time.
The G1 suits me even though many here have a love/hate relationship with it.
The M8 the simplicity of it all is calming.

What still intrigues me... The Oly m4/3 mystery.
Oh my....this was written a few days too early....:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Lars

Happiness hmm... re camera equipment:

On the film side, cost of E6 development has become a real culprit. In California I paid about $4.50 for 8x10 development at Calypso (until they dropped some of my Death Valley 8x10's on the floor). Nowadays in Stockholm the price is around 150 SEK - $20 in American currency. Ouch. I can ship film down to Germany to cost down to $8 but it's a hassle. Not happy about that. Otherwise the whole 8x10 setup I now have is excellent and I'm not sure if there is much room for improvement, at least not as long as I want to be able to carry the system in a backpack.

On the DSLR side, my Nikon system works. D700 finally allows me to use my lenses like they were intended, and all my lenses seem to outresolve the D700 sensor. The D700 opens up for new possibility with it's high ISO performance. The Nikon system has some weaknesses but it is a broad system that works. There is of course a wishlist - better glass, more pixels, better bokeh, etcetera, the stuff we discuss here day in and day out. So... moderately content if not truly happy.

Of course the latest MFDB chips make for interesting reading, but still way too much of an investment and writeoff to make sense for a landscape shooter.

In short I'd say money can indeed buy you happiness.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
She is at B&H RIGHT NOW. Waiting to see how much trouble she is causing over there. She feel in lust over the Zeiss 135 1.8 . Maybe one of the single reasons I would buy a A900 is just for that lens. I tried it at PMA and it was instant lust.

Ben Rubinstein

You people are all evil. Hell for you Guy and Jack is going to be a parallel universe where only one camera system will ever exist.... :ROTFL::ROTFL:

jlm

Workshop Member
one curious thing about the sony/zeiss 16-35, 24-70 and 135/1.8 is that they are nearly exactly the same physical size and very similar looking (except for the missing zoom ring).

Terry

one curious thing about the sony/zeiss 16-35, 24-70 and 135/1.8 is that they are nearly exactly the same physical size and very similar looking (except for the missing zoom ring).
Yes,
They are remarkably similar and especially on the 24-70 and 16-35 have to look on the lens.

If I even decided to jump to Sony putting the kit together is going to be quite a challenge. Not a lot of stock out there.

Terry

calumet and willoughby's have stock. B&H has little
Calumet I think had one of the lenses. I haven't been to Willoughby's in years but he did say they have the 24-70. If I switched over and got the system not sure if I want this lens however, for the next month the "kit" is $300 off. Even the Sony rep said putting it all together was going to take some searching.

Guy Mancuso

I see this one is a done deal, just thinking about it I can tell your on your way. Start listing that Nikon stuff:D:D:D

Okay I have been a bad boy and put the bug in her ear. I cause so much trouble around here surprised I have not banned myself.:bugeyes:

Terry

I didn't spend a dime!

I've posted this AM on the thread in the Sony Forum about IF!!!! I were to go to Sony, what is the ideal kit. So, Guy you are welcome to give opinions on the two hypothetical kit configurations !!!

Guy Mancuso

I didn't spend a dime!

I've posted this AM on the thread in the Sony Forum about IF!!!! I were to go to Sony, what is the ideal kit. So, Guy you are welcome to give opinions on the two hypothetical kit configurations !!!
Damn I am in enough trouble now. LOL

Terry

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Sorry, I am still laughing my butt off at Terry's first comment in this thread!
I guess you would be talking about this statement :D

"I hate big cameras so the D700 will not be replaced and it will last me for a looong time."

I guess you and I never discussed my definition of long time and how that has changed after meeting the folks around here. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: