The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are you happy with your current system.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I have to ask. I have been through many systems over the last 8 years. Canon, Kodak, Nikon, Leica DMR , Leica M8 , Phase P25+ and now settled in on a P30 Plus not to mention several in each camp. Needless to say been through a crap load of money, time and just too much energy getting comfortable. As i sit here today doing some design work and reflecting on all of this, my mind wondered about this and aked myself the big question am I happy. I have to say I am, sure there could be a few things extra I need for my system and my setup and that really is just a matter of a little more money to finish things off and such, but I don't feel my finger pushing a buy button. I know I must be on drugs to say that, I assure you I am not though. I honestly have slimmed down my system a ton and actually maybe a little dangerous how tight I am but I am ten minutes from renting almost anything in 35mm for sure and lights I can rent also. I cut my lighting down too far and that one is bugging me. Anyway so how do folks feel. Are you settled in to a comfortable spot to say if you are dropped off to a place for 3 years without buying another thing would you be okay and be happy with it. Or are you really itching to grab that next piece of gear.

Terry

I can survive for quite a while without having to dig into the piggy bank. Is it a perfect setup? Of course I will always lust after something (can you say 24 lux).

Major systems:
D700 (but have kept only a small lens assortment) 24-70, cv40, 50, cv58, 70-300
M8 (most focal lengths covered)
G1 (two lens kit)
Small sensor (too many to list)

I hate big cameras so the D700 will not be replaced and it will last me for a looong time.
The G1 suits me even though many here have a love/hate relationship with it.
The M8 the simplicity of it all is calming.

What still intrigues me... The Oly m4/3 mystery.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
For now...:rolleyes:

I really like the Sony a900 with Zeiss 24-70, 135 1.8
and I will always have a M (for now a M7 and M8) and leica glass (most focal lengths).
Small sensor-I buy em but never use em

There will always be something new for the "middle aged and the restless" (speaking for me). But ultimatley its the image that counts. I've seen some fine photography on this site with just about every piece of equipment.:thumbup: It all goes back to the guy or gal pressing the shutter.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Yes.

Was just talking about this with a friend of mine. I'm very happy with my Olympus and Panasonic FourThirds bodies and lens kit: I feel I could be using them for a long time to come.

If I want a larger format camera, I'll buy into Nikon again (I'm a long time Nikon user) or a medium format system, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

jonoslack

For now...:rolleyes:

I really like the Sony a900 with Zeiss 24-70, 135 1.8
and I will always have a M (for now a M7 and M8) and leica glass (most focal lengths).
Small sensor-I buy em but never use em

There will always be something new for the "middle aged and the restless" (speaking for me). But ultimatley its the image that counts. I've seen some fine photography on this site with just about every piece of equipment.:thumbup: It all goes back to the guy or gal pressing the shutter.
Mike, you're soooooo boring
A900 with 24/70 and 135 1.8 yaaaawn
:ROTFL:

Snap, is all I can say, the only thing I can add to your excellent system is an E3 and a slew of Olympus lenses which I really like (but seldom use).

Every time I take the A900 out I think. yep, it's a joy to use. Every time I look at the images on my screen I think wow! aren't they lovely.

I've not felt so comfortable with any camera before.

. . . but I'm middle aged and restless as well :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
At present I am comfortable, but I know the itch will hit sooner rather than later!

Seriously, I recently sold off a bunch of well loved -- but not often enough used -- M gear, so I actually have some funds sitting on the sidelines. Those funds are earmarked for the specific purpose of rounding out my two remaining systems, Mamiya/Phase and Canon, yet for some inexplicable reason I am not in my usual hurry to complete that task...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I'm happy with my work Canon system and see nothing to add but a 1DsMkIII to retire the 5d to a backup roll.

My M8 and lenses puts a smile on my face when ever I use it. My film Leica gear has really given me a creative boost. (and I swear just 2 more R lenses and I'm finished).

I have an itch for an 8x10 but I need to sell the house and move into something smaller where I can convert one full room into a dark room before that.

robertwright

this is a good question-made me think that I missed some things and didn't miss others-

for example, I did a lot of my early magazine work on mamiya 7 and hasselblad-so I still have complete systems for both, but when I say complete I mean only two or three lenses, a normal, a wide, a tele for each. It's pretty simple when you only have two choices, you either use the normal or the wide...and no zooms.

Now I am required to do more different things, interiors, portraits, reportage or location portraiture. So you need more to do that, which complicates things.
And the fact that it is all 35mm digital, with what is to me a terrible 2:3 aspect ratio, I miss the mamiya7 format, or the square.

I am pretty happy with the combination of M8 system and canon system. As happy as I can be with 2:3 I'd say.

I think for me, the best combination would be a medium format system and the M8. But the economics are not there. So until then, I crop:thumbs:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
While I have a serious problem with two much glass, I am always pushing for more complete solutions.

1. M8.2 system....this has been my primary go to system for street and travel applications. Have essentially all the available lenses except the new releases. The 21 1.4 is on my must have list. Two issues....better high ISO performance ...I don t even like to use 640 and the limitations of nothing longer than the 135APO. Always shoot with 2 bodies and 3-5 lenses that fit the situation. This system takes consistent use to deliver the goods.

2. D3/D700....my favorite for Florida because of the weather sealing and industrial strength build. Have the 4 Nikon Pro zooms and building out the Zeiss primes. A little conversion of some R lens . This is really a pretty great system for sports,wildlife, street shooting (at the beach/pier) and the situations requiring flash or AF lenses. The D3 is perfect for sports ..balances on the 200-400/4 perfectly . The D700 with the primes is a great all around solution ..great hi ISO performance. I want the D700X ..1600 is enough with fast primes .

3. R glass.... I need compatibility with the new R10 mount..or else. I use the DMR with the 180 APO and the 1.4 extender a lot paired with an M8.2 . I had a budget for two R10 s ........ This could eliminate the Nikon systems or reduce them to special purposes.

4. No point and shoots ..but I need a waterproof solution?

5. No MF .....Blad V system gathering dust......maybe next season in Florida.

The pieces are getting closer ..the improvements for me will come from better sensors, better camera durability and better workflow solutions.

Don Libby

I happy with the gear. I figure I have near perfect choice of kits between landscape shooting with my Cambo RS and lightning and some nature with either my 1DsII or if I can get our of Sandy's hands her 1DsIII. Thanks to Jack I have what I believe is a perfect platform to shoot from now that I got the Cube.

Okay maybe another back but that can wait I think...

Don

Oh course everytime I think I'm there I see another door that needs to be opened and more gear to try out...:banghead:

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Mike, you're soooooo boring
A900 with 24/70 and 135 1.8 yaaaawn
:ROTFL:

Snap, is all I can say, the only thing I can add to your excellent system is an E3 and a slew of Olympus lenses which I really like (but seldom use).

Every time I take the A900 out I think. yep, it's a joy to use. Every time I look at the images on my screen I think wow! aren't they lovely.

I've not felt so comfortable with any camera before.

. . . but I'm middle aged and restless as well :ROTFL:
:D:D:D

PeterA

I think the topic should have been "Are you happy with your current system(S)" :ROTFL:

Truth - from a guy that is long more systems and lenses he cares to discuss in public?

I cant find a better system than my simple Alpa for wide or my trusty beat up never had firmware updated Nov06 model with dings M8. Thought about switching into an M8.2 - looked at pricing and laughed all the way home.

I must be approaching middle age - my appetite for gear has diminished a lot over the last couple of years. Not excited about anything currently out there - and dont trust any of the companies pricing either.

Now if we were talking tractors! thats another story! :ROTFL:

Ben Rubinstein

Yeah. My current Canon system fills all my needs and I'm happy with it. I don't see anything in the marketplace at present that is even making me itch and I'm shooting with a pair of battered 5D's.

Can't wait for a pocketable 4/3 camera though...

Rick Waldroup

About 6 years ago, I started making the switch from film to being completely digital. I started to downsize my equipment. First, I sold all of my large format gear, then I sold my rangefinders. Recently, a little over a year ago, I switched from shooting pro Nikon digital bodies to the 4/3 system. I sold all of my Nikon gear, so currently I am at the point where I can now carry all of my gear in one small bag- I now shoot 2 Lumix L1 bodies and I have 3 lenses for them. I also shoot a Ricoh GRDII. The only thing I am looking to add in the future is either the new Sigma DP2 or the new Olympus micro 4/3 camera. I am waiting for it to come out so I can see what it offers before I make my decision.

Overall, I am pretty happy with what I have and I never really want to go back to lugging around big, heavy equipment anymore.;)

D

ddk

Yes, I'm happy and very settled with systems. On the 35mm front my Fuji S5s serve me very well, tried most of the latest and greatest over the past year only to return to my Fujis, I'm not changing/adding anything here unless Fuji comes out with a new dslr. As far as lenses go, I have all I need too and then some.

MF, I fell in love with the Contax 645 system the minute I picked one up, absolutely no changes here, bought myself several bodies and multiple copies of all lenses to keep me company for eternity. MFDBs, currently happy with my Leaf backs, might try a P25+ or P45+ in the near future, I'm a fan of the Kodak chips but didn't like C1 software in the past but willing to try it again. I still have a couple of Kodak ProBacks which I'm keeping until C1 can deliver similar colors.

P&S fairly satisfied with Ricoh GRDs but the small sensors can use some improvement, will keep looking until I find something with GRD's handling and lens but better IQ and movie capability. Sigma DP series aren't for me, tried one and just hated it, like all other Sigma sourced bodies I owned, including a Kodak SLR/c. I guess this is the only thing that I'm actively looking for, otherwise I'm set for the foreseeable future. I'll see how the new GH1 works out, from what I've seen posted here the IQ is great, just have to see if I can get along with its evf. Having on the fly video makes these cameras ideal for street.

Last edited:

woodyspedden

My problem is that I can't seem to settle on one system only.

Travel seems to dictate the use of my M system (Film and M8's)

High speed photography or long telephoto work demands the Nikon D3, as does high ISO work.

Fine art landscapes go best with the Hasselblad H3DII-39 so I can print very large.

So I haven't found a way to cut down to just one system. I am looking at both the D3X and Sony A900 to see if I could eliminate the MFDB but I am not very hopeful.

Comments and advice welcomed.

Woody

cjlacz

Photography is just a hobby for me. I have my E-510 and upgraded some of the lenses, the 7-14, 25mm PL and 50-200. I really like the 4/3s system. The weight and reach of the lenses are great and work well for travel. My major complaint is low light focusing and this is becoming and bigger issue since it's always dark when I get off work. It has me considering the D300 or D700 just for AF. I know the E3 is better then the E-510, but they still say it's a weak point of Oly compared to Nikon. The lens size and weight for FF make me cringe, let alone the cost.

For a P&S I have the Ricoh GRD2. I love this camera. I played around with the DP1, but I don't like the handling. I'm waiting to see what m4/3s brings, but I'm not in any rush to upgrade yet.

I'd love to add a rangefinder, but not at the cost of an M8. Lots of used film rangefinders around, but I'll wait to get the top sorted out first. :)

bradhusick

I have owned at least 25 point and shoot digitals. Mostly all crap, except for Pana LX3 / D-Lux 4 and, surprisingly, Pentax Optio W60 waterproof (my current daily beater). I am looking forward to the Oly M4/3 announcement too.

Looked at Pana TS-1 waterproof. Lens is horrible in corners. Otherwise, cool idea.

I love my M8.2.

I can't wait for a Leica R10 announcement. It would please me to replace my Canon gear.

R

Ranger 9

At this point it seems appropriate to quote David Vestal: "Equipment may make pictures possible or impossible, but it seldom makes them better or worse."

From that perspective, I'm okay with my current equipment in that it makes possible the pictures I want to make. (Note that I said possible, not easy!)

Tomorrow, or next month, or next year, I may think up a different kind of picture I want to make that can't be done with the equipment I have, and then I'll think I need something else. But my photographic tastes have become fairly settled over the past few years, so that seems less and less likely.

In terms of how my equipment works, though, I'm not very satisfied with most of what I use.

The only camera I use that really feels as if it just grew out of my hand, that flows along naturally with the way I like to shoot, that never gets in my way, is my Epson R-D 1. But it has functional limitations (lens range, maximum ISO, pixel count, etc.) that keep me from using it in every situation.

My Panasonic G1 plugs some of those gaps (although using it doesn't feel as fluid and natural as using the R-D 1) so between the two of them, I've got one "solution" that works. But that's not really ideal. It's like trying to eat a balanced diet: You've got foods you like that aren't especially good for you, and foods that are good for you that you don't particularly enjoy, so you eat some of each. But what you'd really rather have is something that's both enjoyable and good for you.

The other stuff I use is mostly just stuff. My Nikon D300 gives me good results and offers all the accessories I need -- but I groan whenever I contemplate having to lug it around, and even though this is my third Nikon, it still drives me crazy that the lenses mount the "wrong" way (vs. what I learned on.) And I'd love to get rid of my clunky, battered, inelegant Novatron flash units -- but despite being dropped, bashed, battered and neglected, the dratted things just keep working, and I'm too cheap to throw out something that works.

In fact, that's what mostly keeps me off the endless quest for "better" equipment. Although I'm not really happy with most of what I use, I know that whatever I might try as a replacement wouldn't necessarily make me happier. Come to think of it, most of my life is like that...