The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Poll: ONE thing that would make your pictures better

In what category is the ONE thing that you guarantee will improve your photography?

• IMAGING: Cameras, lenses, etc. and upgrades thereto

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • POST-PROCESSING: Computers, monitors, printers, software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AUXILIARY: Lighting and studio/field equipment

• TRAINING: Books, subscriptions, workshops, courses, etc.

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • SERVICES: Models, stylists, guides, assistants, translators, etc.

• OPPORTUNITIES: Publication, gallery exhibit, advertising campaign, etc.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
R

Ranger 9

The National Foundation for the Suppression of Crappy Photography, a wholly fictitious agency of the U.S. Department of Fantasy, has announced a grant program open to amateur and professional photographers living both in the US and elsewhere.

The program will provide you with the funds to purchase exactly ONE thing that that you guarantee will make your photographs better.

Important: Not "bigger", "sharper", "more colorful", "more salable," etc... Better.

For economic planning purposes, please respond to the poll by indicating what category of thing you will purchase with your grant. Supplementary essay responses are encouraged but not required.

Thank you for your participation.

NOTE: Programs of the USDOF are offered without discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, geographic or planetary origin, socioeconomic background, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus or species.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

You forgot the most important (to me): TIME to shoot. :)

I clearly do my best work (and would continue to improve, I believe) when I have dedicated time to shoot without distraction, mental anguish, guilt for going on photography dedicated trips where I can get into my "groove". (And by that way, that's not spousal guilt, quite the opposite, I'm a workaholic.)

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Education (or Training if you will) of any sort is almost never a bad idea to get people pointed in the right direction. I'm a firm believer in that buying the best equipment you can afford for the particular job at hand is never a bad idea either. I would also suggest imagination and inspiration over duplication. Never be afraid to try something different and new to you. Some of my favorite shots came from me trying "abnormal stuff" for me.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I object,
I think that the government is over-reaching, just as they in the Banking and Auto Industries.
If I want to take crappy photos, it is my right!
It sounds like it is time for a tea party!
The one thing that would improve my opportunity to take good pictures would be a smaller government and lower taxes which would equate to more time to take pictures and more money to buy gear, pay models, or travel to venues.
You can take your freaking fictitious government agency to the next election but don't get comfortable!
Now get out of my life!
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I object,
I think that the government is over-reaching, just as they in the Banking and Auto Industries.
If I want to take crappy photos, it is my right!
It sounds like it is time for a tea party!
The one thing that would improve my opportunity to take good pictures would be a smaller government and lower taxes which would equate to more time to take pictures and more money to buy gear, pay models, or travel to venues.
You can take your freaking fictitious government agency to the next election but don't get comfortable!
Now get out of my life!
-bob
BOB wanted me to ban him, even reported himself. Talk about a great moderator :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

jlm

Workshop Member
couldn't resist quoting the OP: ;):)

"...keep shooting with whatever's comfortable, and simply spend the extra cash hiring lackeys and syncophants to tell you how fabulous your pictures are..."

speaking tongue out of cheek, actually feedback is quite useful, sometimes even on this forum ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great idea Terry. Come to Phoenix and we will drive up to the Canyon to start. At least I can do after making you spend money. The Canyon is a great place for the long glass as well