The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Edward Hopper.. the most influential American photographer of the twentieth century?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Edward Hopper & Company.
Hopper's Influence on Photography Robert Adams, Diane Arbus, Harry Callahan, William Eggleston, Walker Evans, Robert Frank, Lee Friedlander, Stephen Shore.

Introduction by Jeffrey Fraenkel.

This to me is one of those must have books where we see the merging of the Painter's and Photographer's aesthetic.

"
What we see in Hopper's paintings when we look at them through the lens of photography, and how, in turn, the language of photography was influenced by Hopper's work, are the twin subjects of Edward Hopper & Company. Thoughtfully curated and edited by the respected San Francisco gallerist Jeffrey Fraenkel, seven paintings and three drawings by Hopper are here thematically interlaced with carefully selected photographs by eight of the masters of twentieth-century photography: Robert Adams, Diane Arbus, Harry Callahan, William Eggleston, Walker Evans, Robert Frank, Lee Friedlander and Stephen Shore."

Full story...

I haven't been influnced by Hopper have I? No way.... :)

R

Ranger 9

You can tell we're in a recession...

Back in the '70s I remember reading how Belgian surrealist painter René Magritte was the conscious or subconscious inspiration of rafts of art photographers. Back then, most leading-edge art writers got stoned a lot -- so they saw Magrittean surrealism everywhere.

Now, with print media in free-fall, foundations cutting back, and private collectors moaning about Madoff, leading-edge art writers feel bleak and gloomy, so they see Hopperesque weltschmerz everywhere.

Personally, I'd rather try to be influenced by Kay Sage, except that I'm afraid of heights and like pictures with people in them...