The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Elliott Erwitt

ShiroKuro

Thought this was very cool.... friend of mine got to meet Elliot Erwitt while in New york last week ....
Its like meeting superman or something lol :)

Rick Waldroup

Wow, your friend is very lucky. Erwitt is one of my favorite photographers. There is such compassion and humor in his work.:thumbup:

ecliffordsmith

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. It must have been a nice experience. I too love the humour in his photographs.

I like the dogs on the cabinets to the right!

R

Ranger 9

It's an over-used catchphrase, but Erwitt is the only photographer who actually changed my life. I was a photojournalism major in college, with aspirations of being the cliched type of globe-trotting reportage photographer, until I encountered his book Photographs and Anti-Photographs. It completely changed my notions of what a "good" photograph was, what a photograph should do, etc. Also very influential was the accompanying essay, "The Man Who Kept Something for Himself," which revolutionized my ideas about what "personal" photography should be.

I'm not sure I'd want to meet him, though. I worry that it would be like getting an invitation to hang out on the set of my favorite TV show, Mythbusters. What if Jamie and Adam and Tori and Carrie and Grant turned out to be pompous, Hollywoody jerks? Would it ruin my enjoyment of the show? Would it spoil my appreciation for Erwitt's work if he turned out not to be all that inspirational at the personal level?