The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sold a lens and

dseelig

When he got it after 3 days he claimed there was a loose mf and af switch on it. Said the repair would be around 70 to $80. then wanted the money now. I just emailed him wanting a repair bill from canon before I go ahead. Sound fishy to you guys? I never noticed the switch being loose and I barely used the lens. There has been no time for him to get a bill from canon yet. David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would have him repair it and send you the invoice data than reimburse him for it, that would be my path. I would not send money without proof it is broken

cam

maybe i'm old-fashioned but, after buying many used lenses, i've always believed you get what you get -- period -- unless there is a clause for checking the lens out.... i just bought a 35 Asph Lux that obviously worked beautifully on the guy's M8 but not so hot on mine. it's my problem, not his, essentially, and i am paying to recalibrate it. i would never in a million years demand that the seller pay for this.

i have bought others that have loose bits and whatnot that needed CLA -- again, my responsibility, as i was the new owner. i don't mean to be a bitch about this, but i think this person is stepping over the line....

Don Libby

I'm on the fence here

On one side I would feel very badly about selling a lens that needed repairs however on the other hand a lot can be said for the term "used" even if it's like new; or add "as is"? Could this be due to shipping?

I'd offer either to reimburse 1/2 of cost of repairs (after receiving proof) or offer to take the lens back and reimburse the cost of shipping.

Like I said, I'm on the fence and thankfully nothing like this has happened. I also think that once the lens (or other sale item) is in the hands of the buyer past 5 days then all bets are off and the seller shouldn't owe the buyer anything.

Just my 2cents here...

Don

LJL

Most used gear is sold "as is", and the buyer is the one taking most of the risk. If there was no obvious issue with the lens when you sold it, and now the buyer is claiming it needs to be 'fixed', it does sound like a bone of contention. If you are sure the gear was properly working when sold, and stated so in the sales posting, AND there were no issues with shipping, then the buyer gets what they get. If they feel that something was not working correctly, have an estimate provided from Canon (or whomever) for the work to be done and go from there. If you are unsure of the lens condition when sold, you may want to offer to pay the repair, or maybe split the repair costs with the buyer if you feel your lens really did not have any issues, but you want to be reasonable.

Even on the GetDPI B&S section, Jack has posted the following:

*** GetDPI.com offers this as a free service for our members and makes no warranties or implications regarding the veracity of the posters or items listed for sale, as such USE OF THIS FORUM IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think it's always fishy; a form of negotiating after the fact. I've had it happen a few times and I simply offer a full refund, less shipping. Virtually every time I've done that, the conversation ends and I never hear from them again. I even had one bloke go so far as to Photoshop in a scratch on a lens I knew was perfect when I sold it -- and it was an obvious Photochop -- asking for some additional funds off! *ALWAYS* take good images of anything you sell before you ship it out.

OTOH I've had it happen where I get a damaged item, and I send the same stupid note saying it's damaged too. Depending on how badly I want the item, I either pay for the repair myself or return it.

robmac

If you think you were accurate in your lens description, give him/her one of two options:

1. Offer a full refund, shipped to you insured, 1/2 shipping costs covered. So sorry, missed that, good luck finding another copy. Basically resets things to time 0.

2. Have him/her get it repaired, send you a copy of the bill and you pay.

Some people are $%^& and simply want $$ and have no intent of getting repaired, some are way TOO picky on minor nothingness BUT would get it repaired and some are just off in never-never land and think 'Used' and 'New' are synonymous.

Don Libby

I even had one bloke go so far as to Photoshop in a scratch on a lens I knew was perfect when I sold it -- and it was an obvious Photochop -- asking for some additional funds off! *ALWAYS* take good images of anything you sell before you ship it out.
That's got to be a new low! I'm afraid of what my response would have been ....

Don

I also keep all correspondence pertaining to a sale a minimum of 60 days.

O

Oxide Blu

After reading all of the responses so far, I have to agree with this one:

I would have him repair it and send you the invoice data than reimburse him for it, that would be my path. I would not send money without proof it is broken

:thumbs:

It makes no assumptions, places no blame.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There is a caveat here and upon the buyer receiving the item he has a very short time to report a issue like 24 hours or so depending on the situation and after 3 days or so , sorry they are on there own. Reason I like to hear from a buyer immediately say everything is received, fine and thanks. To me that is confirmation all is well. You have to set a time frame that is comfortable. Also one reason I do agree with Jack on and and I HIGHLY recommend this is take some photo's of the item for sale. First it cost you nothing to post them here or almost any forum besides e-bay. It serves several important things , you actually have the item, the buyer can see it and you have proof that it looked good when it left your door although the damage can be inside it still is proof of the item. Rule of thumb on this site at least photos are always welcome and encouraged to be posted. Take advantage of it

D

ddk

IMO this sort of thing when we're not privy to any of the facts should remain between buyer and seller, passing judgement on either party by any of us is pointless. The buyer might be right and received a quote over the phone and wants to know his options before committing to the repair.

I had a situation myself a few months back when I bought an entire Contax 645 system which included several lenses on LL. The seller described the merchandise as lightly used and in mint condition but once I received them I noticed that all the equipment was purchased from Adorama's rental dept., something that the seller omitted in his ad. It took a lot of doing and negotiating on my part to get a refund, his pov was that his ad wasn't misleading and mentioning that he's selling used rental equipment as mint is irrelevant, since his opinion, despite the physical condition they're still mint and lightly used by him, and I should accept this fact since he's a university professor!

I've purchased a fair number of used cameras and lenses, with varying results.

Once purchased a used mint-looking lens only to find out that it was razor sharp on the right side and grew progressively worse across the film plane with the first shot out of the box. After testing confirmed it was the lens and nothing else the seller eventually offered to refund some money for a c.l.a.

I was informed by the manufacturer's service department that the front element was loose, and I had it repaired for more than the seller refunded (which was fine by me). The seller never thought that there was anything wrong with the lens, but then they were shooting it on a much smaller sensor so it is entirely possible that they thought the soft center was normal.

I don't think there was necessarily an intention to deceive, but there was skepticism on their part about my claim throughout the communication.

It would seem fair to request a copy of the repair invoice.

Last edited:

charlesphoto

I agree with Guy and Jack. I would never buy (or sell) anything above a couple hundred bucks without killer pictures of the item. I don't care who it is or what it is.

But after house hunting recently in the $600K range it's pretty unbelievable the terrible pics people use to try and sell their over half a million dollar houses. Of course a house you always look at in person and then have inspected, but good pics at least get you in the door to have a look. Same with high end camera gear. I'll always trust more a seller who cares enough to take good pictures and good pictures get buyers salivating more!

Terry

I agree with Guy and Jack. I would never buy (or sell) anything above a couple hundred bucks without killer pictures of the item. I don't care who it is or what it is.

But after house hunting recently in the $600K range it's pretty unbelievable the terrible pics people use to try and sell their over half a million dollar houses. Of course a house you always look at in person and then have inspected, but good pics at least get you in the door to have a look. Same with high end camera gear. I'll always trust more a seller who cares enough to take good pictures and good pictures get buyers salivating more!
:D I passed the Charles test :clap:

Robert Campbell

...The seller described the merchandise as lightly used...

This is a bit like buying a used car/auto -- only one careful lady owner is true, but says nothing but the several uncareful [male] owners...a description needs to be truthful and complete.

Caveat emptor!

dogstarnyc

I'm with Jack etc on this... offer full refund or nothing... Over the years I've done over 500 deals on ebay and it does come up from time to time. I sold a great Nikon 105mm AFD macro once, fab lens and I used it in the studio and cared for it very well.

The guy never contacted me after the fact, just rated me a neutral. When i asked him why, he said the lens was naff, full of dust and needed overhauling...! Again just a way of trying it on...!

S