Site Sponsors

Thread: Inspirations

Post Thanks / Like

Inspirations

Just wondering what are the big inspirations that got people into photography. For me my early ones were first Walter Ioos and Neil Leifer SI photographers. Then very quickly- i was 13 at the time 1970-71- David Douglas Duncan, Larry Clark, Robert Frank. I was raised on lower East Side of NYC in the 60's and 70's. I remember my 2nd grade teacher had 2 rows of white and oriental kids and the one row no kids and 3 rows of Black and Puerto Rican Kids, guess which side of the room she looked at. So Frank and Clark's work really spoke to me. In my life I have done personal journalism pro sports , concert work,editorial and newspaper work. David
    www.davidseelig.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Inspirations

adams, e and b weston, strand, cunningham, avedon, porter, picker, penn, feininger, Life magazine

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David Douglas Duncan, Capa, Arbus, Adams, Tim Page, Monet, Van Gogh, Evans, Eugene Smith, Wim Wenders, Josef Sudek, Gary Winogrand

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First and most impressionable was probably Arizona Highways magazine, then Porter, then Weston (E) and Adams, then Bresson and Salgado, then Kenna, Loranc and Burtiynski.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are so many photos of different photographers that have been inspirational, but two great artists have been particularly important to me:

Rembrandt van Rijn for his use of light and colour and Henri Cartier-Bresson for his composition and timing.

Post Thanks / Like

Weegee not mentioned yet? (Sorry, the Devil made me do it.)
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we lost a great force for inspiring young photographers with the end of Life magazine.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

Had a point and shoot camera. went to a class on digital photography 4 yrs ago at age of 64. Instructor had a Nikon DSLR, that got me started with a DSLR and now a M8 .
    And I am loving it.
    Sunny Florida Rick of Fla

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I think we lost a great force for inspiring young photographers with the end of Life magazine.
    Not only the end of Life magazine, and similar magazines in other countries, but the changes in the news production process. It's my impression, correct me if I'm wrong, that magazines to an increasing degree rely on photos bought from news and photo agencies instead of having their own photographers covering events etc. Photographers are probably still as good as they ever were, but the whole nature of an agency photo is that it's generic, so that it will fit any of a number of magazines and other publications. Finding magazines these days with a distinct photographic style isn't easy, and it probably only gets worse.

Maybe we should start a list of magazines that still maintain a personal photographic style. Another thread maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

had to be shooting in an abandoned asylum and getting photos back that I hated. I took a course at palm beach photographic center, I have to say Weston is a big influence, but so are some people on www.uer.ca/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me, the most impacting was Life magazine. Spectacular photographers shooting scenes from World War II to iconic Hollywood celebrities at the height of their celebrity! (Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift, Clark Gable etc)

Then you had Gary Winogrand, Ansel, and all the others who captured the most important events of the 20th century (Robert Capa would come to mind as would HCB).

Then we had Diane Arbus and Helen Leavitt to show us life up close and personal. Most of us who lived and learned in this era were virtual New Yorkers or Chicagoans! (And most of us lived, as I did, in the rural farm areas of places like central Pennsylvania!)

So we have all these Icons to show us their way, with their visions, towards capturing the momentous events of our own personal experiences. How wonderful!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

I have to add Life magazine as well. The first time I was published in it I was grinning for a month.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

in addition to Life, I should have mentioned National Geographic

Post Thanks / Like

Henri Cartier Bresson, Ed van der Elsken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arizona Highways magazine in my childhood (like Jack!), then later Galen Rowell when I really started taking photography seriously, and (relatively recently) Simon Marsden's weird stuff.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not so much inspiration... you have to find your own voice...but images that work for me three wild cards and a classic... Karsch, Tim Page, Rolling Stone era annie liebowiczt and Cartier Bresson