The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Clean Well-Lighted Place?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
We have a lot of members here who are in many places in the world and maybe some can make some suggestions.

Most likely in a year I'll find my self with out ties to any place or person.

I'm looking for a place to go and find Hemingway's "A Clean Well-Lighted Place." Where to spend a year out of the U.S. where my money will go far, where there is still a civility in life. A small place far from tourists and the pilot fish. A community where a stranger if not accepted would not be unwelcome. Where one might find people to talk about Art, History, Literature and Life until the wee hours of Dawn. Where you buy your bread from a baker and you won't get a fraise tart because they aren't in season.

I'm look toward eastern Europe (but the Euro is going to kill me) or south to Chile or Urugary. I can get by in Spanish and French.

Know of any Clean Well-Lighted Places?

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds like heaven to me but not ready for that in the meantime how about Italy or Greece. Hell i will go with you.:D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Look into the Czech Republic... Lots of really cool places, very intelligent and interesting people, and they are NOT on the Euro yet so costs remain reasonable. (I was there last summer and small bars a few streets off the main squares had beer for 50 cents a mug and pizzas for $2.) My choice would be one of the less traveled Greek islands --- maybe Crete or Corfu? --- but these would likely be a bit more expensive than Czech.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
John, My Russian friends recommend Prague (I have never been there), they say its very affordable, quiet as you want it to be and very beautiful.

Last edited:

johnastovall

Look into the Czech Republic... Lots of really cool places, very intelligent and interesting people, and they are NOT on the Euro yet so costs remain reasonable. (I was there last summer and small bars a few streets off the main squares had beer for 50 cents a mug and pizzas for $2.) My choice would be one of the less traveled Greek islands --- maybe Crete or Corfu? --- but these would likely be a bit more expensive than Czech.
A Czech friend had suggested that I should at least consider Prague as a base to work from...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Prague is awesome. Somewhat expensive on the main squares, yet very affordable two streets off of them. Again, a complete beer and pizza lunch for $3 or less...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Went to Prague and Budapest last fall. Both great places for photography..and just getting lost. I thought Prague was a little better ...smaller and a little more attractive. Budapest has more of a big city feel. Of course I was essentially in town. The weather though might be an issue ...these are places with seasons and thus you get the rainy/cold days. Both cities are getting more expensive and suffer from a shortage of housing. Went to Key West last week for a few days ....its ruined(IMHO) set up for the tour buses and cruise ships. Hemingway is still there but spends most of his time on his boat. If I was looking at Eastern Europe..it would be Prague. I think if I was making this kind of decision I would travel as much as possible and try out some of the options. Very interesting post.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
John,

Pick somewhere nice... because I'm coming to visit! :D :D :D

That stated, I have a few comments for the commenters.

Prague is very beautiful but extremely expensive and getting worse by the day. One of my co-workers is from there, owns a house in Hostivice (about 20 minutes outside Prague), and goes back several times a year; so I'm getting this first hand. Housing prices are approximately what you'd pay here ($600k+), and of course, here is Bay Area, CA (which is in my opinion, completely insane). If you're keen on the Czech Republic, he recommended pretty much anything in the southwest area, or anything outside of Prague (where prices fall to about 1/2 that for homes). Anything around Pizen (Pilsen) or Cheb is quiet nice (both are larger cities with many smaller towns surrounding them.)

Budapest is nice, not quiet as expensive as Prague, but certainly more big city-ish. That stated, I loved my 2 weeks there; but it probably was influenced by having friends who live there. Hungarians are very cool people and I found them very friendly.

As you said you can get by w/ Spanish and French, I'd throw out something like St. Lary-Soulan (south of France). Very quaint. Very picturesque. I loved my time in Barcelona, but I don't think the dollar will go very far. Otherwise, I'd agree with Guy on picking something Italian. More likely southern Italy, possibly Sicily. I loved Sorrento, but that was a bit pricey... whereas Sicily was rather cheap (by comparison).

I'd also toss out Cyprus. It's a little more remote. It is a small island, but I think it's a big enough island to prevent island-fever. I'd avoid spots like Agia Napa, though beautiful, are way too resort/touristy. I don't know if they are on the Euro yet, but I know it was coming when last I was there.

Lastly, you might consider some place like Serbia or Croatia. Language would be more of an issue, but I think you'll get more for your dollar.

Best wishes in your choice. I hope it's one you do not have to make for a few years.

Kind Regards,

-Chris

helenhill

Vietnam may be good for you in terms of the dollar.

The Art World there is flourishing / from Impressionism, Expressionism, to Pop
Vietnemese cuisine has developed under the French Influence
As a photographer you will be in a country going through historic change

Croatia is another place I have heard good things about..... another place going through historic change & old world Beauty
All the Best :eek:

Maggie O

Croatia does sound like a blast and it's the setting of my favorite episode of the drinking and travel show, Three Sheets.

johnastovall

Vietnam may be good for you in terms of the dollar.

The Art World there is flourishing / from Impressionism, Expressionism, to Pop
Vietnemese cuisine has developed under the French Influence
As a photographer you will be in a country going through historic change

Croatia is another place I have heard good things about..... another place going through historic change & old world Beauty
All the Best :eek:
Now, Vietnam sounds interesting. I hadn't even thought about it. I've had over the years a number of Vietnamese friends and know French is almost a second language along with English. I also have a friend who is a retired Army Col. who spends several months a year there helping with clean water projects at the very local level (individual schools and hospitals).

I might even run into Tim Page over there... :eek:

This definately requires some thought....